Government of West Bengal
No. 6046-F, Dated: 25.06.2009
In exercise of the power conferred by the proviso to article 309 of the constitution of India and in partial modification of the notification No. 3189-WT dated the 22nd March, 1978, as subsequently amended, the Governor is pleased hereby to make the following rules regulating recruitment to the posts of Driver, Grade-I and Driver, Grade-II in the Secretariat departments. Directorates and in regional offices (in districts including Kolkata) under the rule making power of the Government of West Bengal:-
1. Short title and commencement:-
1) These rules shall be called the West Bengal Services (Driver, Grade-I and Driver, Grade-II) Recruitment Rules, 2009.
2) They shall come into force at once.
2. Application: Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in any other rules or Government orders on the subject matter these rules shall apply to recruitment to the posts of Driver, Grade-I and Driver, Grade-II in the secretariat department, Directorates and in regional offices (in districts including Kolkata) under the rule making power of the Government of West Bengal.
3. Definitions: In these rules, unless there is anything repugnant to the subject or context –
a) “Commission” means the public service commission, West Bengal;
b) “Government” means the Government of West Bengal.
4. Appointing authority:- The Appointing authority in relation to posts of Driver, Grade-I and Driver, Grade-11 shall be such authority as specified in Schedule 1 to the West Bengal Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1971.
5. Method of recruitment:- The method of recruitment to the posts of Driver, Grade-I and Driver/Grade-II in the secretariat departments. Directorates and in regional offices (in district including Kolkata) under the rule making power of the Government of West Bengal, shall be as detailed below:-
a) Name of the post – Driver, Grade-II :
i) 70% of the posts to be filled up by direct recruitment on the basis of the results of a written examination and skill test conducted by the Commission.
Note-1: The commission shall have the discretion to prescribe syllabus for an scheme and method of the examination.
Note-2: The commission shall have the discretion to fix qualifying marks in the written examination and to relax such marks in respect of candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward classes of West Bengal. Departmental candidates having requisite qualifications shall be eligible to apply;
ii) 30 % of the posts by promotion from the posts of cleaner, Attendant and Helper having requisite qualifications for direct recruitment.
Provided that if any point of time all the posts in promotion quota are not filled up by promotion for want of eligible candidates, the remaining posts shall be filled up by direct recruitment;
b) Name of the post – Driver, Grade-I;
i) 100% posts to be filled up by promotion, from the posts of Driver, Grade-II.
6. Qualifications for direct recruitment to the post or Driver, Grade -II
i) Read up to class-VIII.
ii) Licence for Driving both light and medium vehicle/H.M. Vehicles.
iii) Experience in driving for five years ;
b) Desirable: Knowledge in running repairs of vehicles and practical experience of driving heavy Vehicles for two years.
7. Age limit for direct recruitment to the posts of Driver, Grade-II:- The age limit for direct recruitment to the post of Driver, Grade-II shall be not less than 18 years and not more than 37 years as on 1st day of the year of advertisement. The upper age is relaxable for the candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward classes, persons with disabilities specified under the relevant rules and the Ex-serviceman, according to the rules and orders issued by the Government from time to time.
8. Exercising option for vacancies in case of posts, of Driver, Grade-II:- Every candidate shall exercise his option –
a) in respect of the vacancies in the secretariat and/or Directorates in Kolkata alongwith their pool car offices in the Secretariat and Directorates.
b) in respect of the vacancies in districts alongwith their pool car offices in one district only to be specified therein.
9. Savings: Notwithstanding anything contained in these rules, the persons appointed on regular basis or substantively to the posts of Driver, Grade-I and Driver/Grade-11 prior to coming into force of these rules, shall be deemed to have been appointed under these rules, as if these rules were in force when such appointments were made.
By order of the Governor
Sd/- D. Mukhopadhyay
Principal Secy. to the
Govt. of West Bengal