GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
No. 3326-F, Dated: 05.05.2009.
In exercise of the power conferred by the proviso to article 309 of the Constitution of India, the Governor is pleased to hereby to make the following rules regulating recruitment to different categories of Group D posts in the Secretariat, Directorates and other offices under the rule making power of the Government of West Bengal, namely:
1. Short Title and Commencement: (1) These rules may be called the West Bengal Services (Group D Posts) Recruitment Rules, 2009.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. Application: These rules shall apply to the recruitment of different categories of Group -D posts, namely peon, orderly peon, Night Guard, Darwan, Farash or such other nomenclature of posts in the pay band No. 1 with Grade Pay of Rs. 1700/-, in the Secretariat, Directorates and similar posts in other offices under the rule making power of the Government of West Bengal:
Provided that these rules shall not apply in the case of recruitment to the posts of Sweeper and Dom.
3. Definitions: In these rules, unless there is anything repugnant to the subject or context:-
(a) “Candidate” means the persons who have applied for recruitment to the Group D posts in response to advertisement by the Commission;
(b) “Commission” means the Public Service Commission, West Bengal;
(c) “Government” means the Government of West Bengal;
(d) “Pay Band” means the pay band as defined in clause (e) of Rule 3 of the West Bengal Services (Revision of Pay and Allowances) Rules, 2009;
(e) “Grade Pay” means the Grade pay as defined in clause )f) of Rule 3 of the West Bengal Services (Revision of Pay and Allowances) Rules, 2009.
4. Appointing authority: The appointing authority in relation to the different categories of Group D posts shall be the authority as specified in Schedule I of West Bengal Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1971.
5. Method of recruitment: (1) Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in any other rules, orders or notifications regulating the recruitment to different categories of Group D posts in different office under the rule making power of the Government, the recruitment to such different categories of Group D posts shall, after commencement of these rules, be made by selection (direct recruitment).
(2) Save as otherwise provide in regulation 3 of the West Bengal Public Service Commission (Exemption from Consultation) Regulation, 2008, the direct recruitment of different categories of Group D posts shall be made on the basic of the results of a written examination to be conducted by the Commission and the Commission shall determine the syllabus for, and scheme and method of the written examination.
6. Qualification: The candidate applying for different categories of Group D posts shall have class VIII pass certificate from any recognized school or any recognized madrasah or any other recognized equivalent institution.
7. Age Limit: The age of the candidate shall not be less than 18 years and more than 37 years on the 1st day of January of the year of publication of Advertisement:
Provided that the upper age limit shall be relax-able by 5 years for the candidates belonging to the categories of schedule castes and scheduled tribes of West Bengal and by 3 years for the candidates belonging to the categories of other backward classes of West Bengal:
Provided further that the upper age limit shall be 45 years for persons with physical disabilities specified under any law for the time being in force:
Provided also that the upper age limit shall be relaxable for the ex-serviceman according to the Ex-serviceman (Reservation of vacancy in the State Service and Posts, Group C and Group D), Rules, 1982.
8. Exercising options for vacancies: Every candidate shall exercise his option:
(a) in respect of the vacancies in the Secretariat, Directorates and districts, in the Secretariat or Directorates and in one district to be specified therein by stating order of performance between the two, or
(b) in respect of the vacancies in the Secretariat only, or
(c) in respect of the vacancies in the Directorates only, or
(d) in respect of the vacancies in the districts only to be specified therein.
9. Power to relax: Nothing in these rules shall be construed to limit or abridge the power of the Governor to dispense with or relax the recruitment of any of these rules to such extent and subject to such conditions, as he may consider necessary for dealing with a case in a just and equitable manner.
10. Saving: Notwithstanding anything contained in these rules, the persons appointed on regular basic or substantively to any Group D post prior to coming into force of these rules shall be deemed to have been appointed under these rules as if these rules were in force when such appointment was made.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- D. Mukhopadhaya
Principal Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal