Highlights of Railway Budget 2012-13
• Passenger Fare is to increase by:
|Class of Accommodation||Increase in Passenger Fare|
|Suburban and ordinary second class||2 paise per km|
|Mail/express second class||3 paise per km|
|Sleeper class||5 paise per km|
|AC Chair Car, AC 3 tier and First Class||10 paise per km|
|AC 2 tier||15 paise per km|
|AC I||30 paise per km|
• Minimum fare and platform tickets to cost Rs. 5.
• SMS on passenger mobile phone in case of e-ticket to be accepted as proof of valid reservation.
• On board passenger displays indicating next halt station and expected arrival time to be introduced.
• Introduction of regional cuisine at affordable rates; launching of Book-a-meal scheme to provide multiple choice of meals through SMS or email.
• Introduction of coin/currency operated ticket vending machines.
• Specially designed coaches for differently-abled persons to be provided in each Mail/Express trains.
• Introduction of Rail Bandhu on-board magazines on Rajdhanis, Shatabdis and Duronto trains.
• Setting up of AC Executive lounges at important stations
• 75 new Express trains to be introduced.
• 21 new passenger services, 9 DEMU services and 8 MEMU services to be introduced.
• Run of 39 trains to be extended.
• Frequency of 23 trains to be increased.
• National High Speed Rail Authority to be set-up.
• Introduction of a ‘Green Train’ to run through the pristine forests of North Bengal.
• Setting up of 200 remote railway stations as ‘green energy stations’ powered entirely by solar energy.
• Providing solar lighting system at 1,000 manned level crossing gates.
• 2,500 coaches to be equipped with bio toilets.
• Setting up of 72 MW capacity windmill plants in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
• Escorting of trains by RPF/GRP extended to 3,500 trains.
• Over one lakh persons to be recruited in 2012-13 – backlog of SC/ST/OBC and other categories to be wiped off.
• New coaching terminal at Naihati, the birth place of Rishi Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay commemorating him on 175th Birth Anniversary.
Press Information Bureau, Govt. of India