Other Backward Classes of West Bengal

State Government has conducted sample survey to ascertain the relative backwardness of the classes included in the lists of other backward classes of West Bengal.

GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
BACKWARD CLASSES WELFARE DEPARTMENT
WRITERS’ BUILDINGS, KOLKATA – 700 001

No. 6309-BCW/MR-84/10, Dated: 24.09.2010.

NOTIFICATION

WHEREAS “backward classes” have been defined in clause (a) of section 2 of the West Bengal Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993 (West Ben. Act of 1993) (hereinafter referred to as the said Act), for the purposes of the said Act, to mean such backward classes of citizens other than the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes as may be specified by the State Government in the lists;

AND WHEREAS “lists” have been defined in clause (c) of section 2 of the said Act to mean lists prepared by the Government of West Bengal from time to time for purposes of making provisions for the reservation of appointments or posts in favour of backward classes of citizens which, in the opinion of that Government, are not adequately represented in the services under the Government of West Bengal, local and statutory authorities constituted under any State Act, Corporations in which not less than 51% of the paid up share capital is held by the State Government, Universities ,Colleges affiliated to the Universities, primary, secondary and higher secondary schools and also other educational institutions which are owned or aided by the State Government and also establishments in public sector;

AND WHEREAS the Government of West Bengal has decided to categorise the backward classes included in the lists into two categories depending on their relative backwardness and make separate provisions for reservation in services and posts in favour of the two categories;

AND WHEREAS the Government of West Bengal has conducted a sample survey to ascertain the relative backwardness of the classes included in the lists of backward classes and the reports of the said survey has duly been received;

Now, THEREFORE, in consideration of the report of the survey, the Governor is pleased hereby to categorise the lists of the backward classes notified for the purpose of the said Act into categories as ‘Category-A’ and ‘Category-B’, wherein the Category-A would mean the ‘More Backward’ and the Category-B would mean ‘Backward’ within the ‘backward classes’ and bring the backward classes so far enlisted into the two categories in the following manner:-

Sl. MORE BACKWARD (Category-A) Sl. BACKWARD (Category-B)
1. Abdal 1. Baishya Kapali
2. Baidya Muslim 2. Bansi-Barman
3. Basni / Bosni 3. Barujibi, Barui
4. Beldar Muslim 4. Betkar (Bentkar)
5. Bepari / Byapari Muslim 5. Bhar
6. Bhatia Muslim 6. Bharbhuja
7. Bhatiyara 7. Bhujel
8. Chowduli 8. Bungchheng
9. Chutor Mistri 9. Chasatti (Chasa)
10. Dafadar 10. Chitrakar
11. Dhukre 11. Christians converted from Scheduled Castes
12. Dhunia 12. Devanga
13. Fakir / Sain 13. Dewan
14. Gayen 14. Dhimal
15. Ghosi 15. Gangot
16. Hajjam 16. Goala-Gope (Pallav Gope, Ballav Gope, Yadav Gope, Gope, Ahir and Yadav.)
17. Hawari 17. Hele / Halia / Chasi-Kalibartta
18. Jamadar 18. Kahar
19. Jolah (Ansari- Momin) 19. Kansari
20. Kalander 20. Kapali
21. Kan 21. Karani
22. Kasai 22. Karmakar
23. Khotta Muslim 23. Keori / Koiri
24. Laskar 24. Khen
25. Mahaldar 25. Kumbhakar, Kumar
26. Majhi / Patni Muslim 26. Kurmi
27. Mal Muslim 27. Malakar
28. Mallick 28. Mangar
29. Midde 29. Moira-Modak (Halwai)
30. Molla 30. Nagar
31. Muchi / Chamar Muslim 31. Napit
32. Muslim Barujibi / Barui 32. Nembang
33. Muslim Biswas 33. Newar
34. Muslim Haldar 34. Rai (including Chamling)
35. Muslim Mali 35. Raju
44. Rajmistri 44. Tanti, Tantubaya
45. Rayeen / Kunjra 45. Teli, Kolu
46. Sardar 46. Thami
47. Shersabadia 47. Turha
48. Siuli (Muslim) 48. Yogi-Nath
49. Tutia 49. Darji / Ostagar / Idrishi
50. Dhanuk 50. Dhali (Muslim)
51. Jogi 51. Pahadia-Muslim
52. Khandait 52. Tal-Pakha Benia
53. Kosta / Kostha
54. Lakhera / Laahera
55. Roniwar
56. Sukli

The Governor is further pleased to decide that henceforth any class included in the lists of Other Backward Classes in the State of West Bengal shall be added to the Category-A or to the Category-B depending on its degree of backwardness.

By Order of the Governor,

Sd/- SK. NURUL HAQUE,
Principal Secretary to the Government of West Bengal

No. 6309-BCW dated 24.09.2010, Source

Comments

1. Susmita saha says

Sir my name is Susmita Saha, i dnt know my sub-caste… pls help me what is my sub-caste????
    pls tell me sir…

2. S.saw says

My sir name is “saw”.
    I am s.c but i dnt know my sub caste.please help.which sub castes are under saw with s.c.
    Plz inform me.

3. Suvadeep pradhan says

i am a farmer’s son and my family’s origin is at medinapore. My title is pradhan can i opt for obc certificate? plz reply

4. Ranjeet Kumar Bhagat says

Sir I live in Kolkata & I want to applied O.B.C. but I can’t found my Subcaste list in West Bengal.
    in U.P. , BIHAR , MAHARASTRA my sir name ‘BHAGAT’ is given in Subcaste of ‘TAMBOLI’ But in West Benagal i can’t find TAMBOLI subcaste so please give me list of Tamboli/Tamali’s Subcaste. in details in my e-mail id.

5. arif says

I applied for OBC certificate under OBC-A , Jolah (Ansari- Momin) on 31/03/2014. I got a call from SDO Howrah office on Monday asking me to meet them on Tuesday for further processing of the application. When I went there, the person asked me that since you did not gave any relative’s OBC certificate, how can we judge you that you belong to OBC. He said to bring a written document that you belong to OBC and signed by five respected people of my area. Also he added that I must write rituals of birth, marraige and death and submit. He added that the DM has a book of rules where the caste rituals are written, if it does not match then my application will be cancelled. I have arranged the document and signed by five people but I don’t understand what are the rituals to mention as because every muslim follows the same ritual where he belongs to higher class or backward class. Please help me to write the rituals so that I can submit the document on this Monday. I belong to Jolah- Ansari Muslim.
    arif.md1983@gmail.com

6. Kifayat hussain hajjam says

I am from hajjam family but i do not know to which category i belong, whether SC or OSC or any other . If anybody knows then please tell me

7. B L Sharma says

My Caste is Badhai (Carpenter) , is it falls under OBC List in West Bengal?
    I found it in the Central OBC List but not in WB List, it may another name kindly suggest.

8. santanu pal says

I am an obc candidate ,registered in the group years back. I have a certificate in which no group of obc is mentioned. How can I obtain a new certificate with the mention of group?

9. puspendu mondal says

Sir i came to know that chasatti belongs to obc. In my poperty document the hobby of my grand father was chasadi(in bengali 1958).My question is whether chasatti and chasadi (in bengali) are same? Can i apply for obc certificate with this document?

• Arup Ghosh says

My Surname is Nayek What is my Sub Cast in OBC list in west Bengal ?
      in my poperty document hoby of my fatehr was Chasadi( in bengali in 1990). my question is whether chasatti and Chasadi (in bengali are Same?can i apply for OBC certificate with this document?

10. SARBASHIS GHOSH says

MY SON SRI SUBHRAJYOTI GHOSH IS LIVING IN VARANASI FROM CHILDHOOD ,HOW TO MAKE OBC CERTIFICATE FROM VARANASI IN TITLE OF GHOSH,BUT IN UP THEY TOLD THERE IS NO CASTE OF GHOSH IN THE LIST BUT I HAVE ALREADY MAKE MY OBC FROM BURDWAN (WEST BENGAL),THEY TOLD WE MAKE BY THE TITLE OF YADAV,HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO PREPARE OBC CERTIFICATE FROM VARANASI BY THE NAME OF SRISHUBHRAJYOTI GHOSH.PLZ INFORM ME IN DETAILS. REGARDS

11. MD HABIB ALI says

My name is MD HABIB ALI and my father’s name is MD KORBAN ALI.Please kindly inform me sir whether i belong to any obc category or not..

12. nasim akhter says

I am government employee under the govt of west bengal. My yearly salary is below Rs 350000 . Am I eligible to apply for OBC Certificate

13. CHOUDHURY FAIZU RAHAMAN says

SIR MY NAME IS choudhuryfaizhu rahaman. AND FATHER’S NAME IS choudhury fazlur rahaman.we are BELONG IN CHOUDHURY MUSLIM. CAN YOU TELL ME WE ARE APPLY FOR OBC

14. VISHAL KUMAR SHAW says

DEAR SIR,

I AM FROM HOWRAH & I WANT TO KNOW THAT THE SURNAME ” SHAW ” IS BELONG TO ” TELI ” CASTE

15. Biswajit singha says

Dear sir,i am Biswajit singha /sinha ,i dont know what caste iam? but my father kishor mohan singha told we are subarna banik please told my email .i am obc-b can apply.

16. Moumita Guin says

Surname ‘Guin’ falls under which catergory of OBC list? Please also mention the sub-category at your earliest.

With warm regards

Moumita Guin

17. suvendu says

I went now that surname is Mahato (ST). What is the sub cast please tel me. any one now the sub cast mention your mobile number i well call you.

18. SHAHBAAZ HUSSSAIN says

SIR MY NAME IS SHAHBAAZ HUSSAIN. AND FATHER’S NAME IS ABDUL RASHID . WE ARE BELONG IN HALWAI $ DARJI CAN YOU TELL ME WE ARE APPLY FOR OBC

19. RAHUL SHAW, says

SIR,
    I am Rahul SHAW born on 1993 in West Bengal and 18+ years old .My grand father from U.P. . My grand father caste comunity in up is OBC (KALWAR ,JAISWAL ) IN SATAE AND CENTARAL GOVT.both . MY QUERY IS …AM I OBC IN WB GOVT FOR STATE WB ,AND CENTAL GOVT ,,,,PLEASE REPLY

THANKING YOU

20. John Lepcha says

Respected Sir,

I John Lepcha belong Darjeeling (West Bengal) caste (ST) married with Mandira Pradhancaste(OBC) during 16 Feb.2007.i want to know that my wife Smt.Mandira Pradhan caste is called ST or OBC.if ST certificate will be issued to her (my wife) of otherwise.

21. Mirajuddin Chowdhury says

Sir,I am Mirajuddin Chowdhury,my father’s proffesonal is cultivation and annual income is below Rs.40000/-(fourty thousand).Am I belonging to OBC category?How do I apply for OBC certificate? Please reply me.Thanking you

22. Arindam Roy says

Sir I am an OBC belonging to B category. I am studying in a private engineering college in Hooghly. My father’s income is only Rs 1,34,000. He is retired. So please let me know what are the scholarships available for me. If you contact me then I can send my education details.

23. Tapan Mamdal says

OBCWB18012012/5896 this is my OBC application number. I applied on 22-8-2012. Till now I didn’t get my OBC certificate. I just want to know that when I will get my certificate. I am facing lot of problems due to this certificate which I don’t have. I faithfully begg you to grant my request and please help me..

24. dipki says

my surname is ‘Pal’ and I am Subarna Banik.
    Do I fall under ‘Swarnakar’ caste of O.B.C. How do I apply for OBC caste certificate?

• Sankha Mullick says

Hi dipki —my name is sankhadeep mullick and i am also subarno banik –we belong to karmakar caste in OBC list of WB but during applying online they are demanding to bring a proof tht we belong to this caste–where we can get the proof

25. Munshi Golam Mostafa says

My name is Munshi Golam Mostafa. Am i belonging to OBC catagory? Can i apply for the obc ? Please ans me kindly.
    thanking you,

26. jagadish chandra nayak says

i have a obc certificate.i want to know that it is which catagory.what will i do for catagory claim.

27. gopal ch. marik says

My title is Marik and i belongs to swarnakar caste. But my family didn’t make any OBC certificate earlier.
    Then, can i get the OBC certificate now?
    Please give me answer as fast as possible.
    Thank you.

28. ANIRBAN DEY says

Am I belonging to OBC either in INDIA or in WEST BENGAL ?
    If i am , then can I get OBC certificate ?
    Title DEY OR DE , which is under OBC ?
    Please give me answer as early as possible…
    Thanks.

29. Alimurzzaman sk says

I am belonging to sershabadia cast(sur name “sk”).I am belonging to OBC”A” catagory?

30. RBISHAL says

I am Hindu Halwai. My Surname is Halwai and I belongs to Uttar Pradesh i.e my ancestors were from UP. HOW CAN I GET OBC CERTIFICATE
    WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO GET IT
    PLEASE REPLY

31. arindam says

I have gotten OBC certificate of West Bengal Government as “Goala-Gope”.
    As per list i am in category-B, but in my certificate(old), there is not mention that. Is it necessary to collect new certificate ( from ONLINE) for mentioning the category in future?
    If yes then plz tell me the procedure to acquire the certificate.
    Thank you.

32. Username* says

i am biplab pal.sub caste-kumbhakar.working as a medical reprentatite at karnataka antibiotics & pharmaceuticals ltd(a govt of india enterprise).i have joint on 2nd june 2008.
    since last 8 months extrememly mentally tortured by kolkata branch manegement,every day taking about my backwardness..i am seeking proper justice
    to continue my work to keep my head straight.
    162-vivekananda polly.po-berhabpore.dist-murshidabad,pin-742101.
    company-address-karnataka antibiotics & pharmaceuticals ltd.254-a n.s.c. bose road.kol-700047

33. gobind thakur says

i am belonged to thakur( nai/napit)comunity.my name is gobind thakur.pls fast repaly the this mater.kiss cast ke me hai.

34. Shubham says

My name is shubham kumar saw. Mera caste Teli h…. but mujhe janna ye hai ki saha kis caste mai aata h aur ye obc hai ya nai….?

35. Md Sajahan Mondal says

I have gotten OBC certificate of West Bengal Government as “Muslim Mandal”.
    I wanna know,”Am I also OBC of Govt. of India?”
    If yes then plz tell me the procedure to acquire the certificate.
    Thank you.

36. Kalim Khan says

how can I apply online for OBC certificate?

pls mail me the link whr i can apply pnline

Agar nahi hai to govt. ko start karna chahiye bahut jald line lageke bheed badhane se koi faida nahi online ka zamana hai time paas karne ka nahi

37. RAM VINOD SAHANI says

MAIN BIHAR KE O B CAST SE HOON PAR W.B O.B CAST MAIN HOON YA NAHI MUJHE NAHI MALOOM .
    MAIN JAAT SE MALHA HOON .
    MUJHE PLS BATAYE KI MAIN W.B KE OBC KE LIST MAIN HOON YA NAHI.
    YADI HOON TO , W.B MAIN MERA KOI BLOOD RELATION NAHI HAI TO MAIN KAISE OBC CRITIFICATE BANA SAKTA HOON .
    PLS FAST REPLAY.

38. SANJAY KUMAR SHAW says

I belongs to moira modak (halwai). I have own small business i want to increase it and want to loan from bank. Please suggest the scheme under west bengal.

39. rajib jha says

sir my surname is jha. it’s under obc list. or any reserved list. plaza reply me.

Your faithfully
    rajib jha

40. nur mohammed says

sir i an nur mohammed. sir i want to know , my brather titel is sekh , he should be apply the obc certificate ?

41. neeraj jaiswal(kalwar) says

I am neeraj jaiswal belong to kalwar caste (obc). how can i get obc certicate ? plz help me.

42. imamul ansari says

Sir,my name is imamul ansari.i am list in obc of wb.i do applay obc from pandaveswar block.reply

43. Indubhusan kuiry says

an sc/st candidate can collect caste certificate without maintaining cremelayer ,but why cremelayer is applicable on obc candidate?

44. SAIKAT says

My surname is Bagal. I am also a christian. My annual income is less than 4.5 lacs. Will I be categorised under OBC ??

• S.Samanta says

My surname is Samanta and my cast also chasa(cultivation). My annual income is less than 4.5 lacs. Will I be categorised under OBC ??

45. Indrajit Prasad says

My name is Indrajit Prasad.
    I am in OBC list of West Bengal.
    I am being harassed by my HeadMaster who is forward.
    where to apply.