Attestation by Gazetted Officers

The Govt. of West Bengal abolished the system of classification of employees into Gazetted, Non-Gazetted and Fourth Grade Services vide GO No. 10606-F dated 25.09.1978 and grouping of services introduced. At present as per West Bengal Services Revision of Pay & Allowances, 2009, Government employees are classified as Group A, Group B, Group C and Group D in the following manner:–

1. Group A – Government employees holding all posts in the pay band Nos. 4 and 5 with grade pay ranging from Rs. 4,400 to Rs. 10,000.
  2. Group B – Government employees holding all posts in the pay band No. 3 with grade pay ranging from Rs. 3,200 to Rs. 4,100.
  3. Group C – Government employees holding all posts in the pay band No. 2 with grade pay ranging from Rs. 1,900 to Rs. 2,900.
  4. Group D – Government employees holding all posts in the pay band No. 1 with grade pay ranging from Rs. 1,700 to Rs. 1,800.

Group A Officer can attest documents as authorized Gazetted Officer. He put his signature, mention his designation and write ‘Group –A’ below the designation.

Group A Officers of the State Govt. is authorized and competent to grant certificates which are required to be granted by the Gazetted Officer or to attest papers done by erstwhile Gazetted Officer as per GO No. 4890-F dated 16.05.1979.

If a Group B employee on the ground of Career Advancement Scheme or any other non-functional elevation is allowed the scale of Group A Officer, he will not get the status of Group A Officer as per GO No. 5326-F dated 15.06.1999. Hence he will not get the power of attestation or power to grant certificates.

Join WBXPress Forum | Like Facebook Page | Join Google+ Page | Follow Twitter

Comments

1. Biswajit Roy says

Pls. provide the Scale of Pay of ‘Office Superintendent’ under Govt. of West Bengal both pre-revised and revised as per ROPA.2009 with G.O. No.

2. Heena says

hello sir…..i need to submit the attested document to company,so can i attest that from government pu college lecturer .And if that lecturer having seal in kannada ….

3. Dhirendra Prasad Sinha says

In Bihar Prosecution Service, cadre promotion was A.P.O, S.D.P.O, Dist. Prosecution officers and Divisional Prosecution Officers. A permanent rank of Divisional Prosecution Officer has been abolished by state of Bihar and nine officers sent back to the post of Dist. Prosecution Officer but pay band & promotional pay was not disturbed. Now they are feeling demotion. What is the case law regarding this ?

4. SANJEEB BISWAS says

Is Inspector of Legal Metrology (Basic 9000- 40500, GP- 4400) under Consumer Affairs department of West Bengal Gazetted or Not? …………. Please reply…..

5. Sumit kumar Tiwari says

Sir I am a headmaster of unaided recognised high school of west Bengal can I put attestation? If any G. O is published then please intimate me

6. anurag bohra says

sir i am a class 12 student and i need to get my exam admit card signed by a gazzeted officer ,im a resident of kolkata,can you please help me as from where in kolkata can i get my admit card signed?

7. K Mahesh says

I am working as assistant professor in UGC approved private Engineering College with AGP in PB3
    I am university approved teacher working in private college. may I know about my attestation authority & Gazetted officer status?

• SHANKHA MISHRA says

as you are working in a private engineering college so you will not get the status of Gazetted officer.
      only group A employee recruited by state PSC can avail the status of Gazetted Rank.

• Hemant says

No sir, only asst professors of the govt college / university established by the statute of central or state governments have the status of gazetted officers.

8. jayanta_sinha says

I am an Associate Professor with Grade pay 9000/- and PB-IV, of a Govt. aided college in West Bengal.Do I have attestation power?If yes up to how much extent? If any such power is conferred, can I have any supporting G.O.Thanks.

• B.P. Pradhan says

Sir, Iam a Principal of Private School (recognized by the govt. of Nagaland) Whether I have legal right to put attestation on Xerox copy or not.

9. partha mukherjee says

sir I am an inspector of kolkata police ,in west Bengal,I want to know that am I a gazetted officer?can I attest signature and photograph withmy signature and designation?pls clarify in details.

• atanu ghosh says

What is your scale of pay?If u r in PB 4 i.e. 9000-40500+GP 4400 then u r a gazzeted one but u should not get promotion from any post with GP bellow 4400/-.

10. Dr muthuvel says

sir am a veterinary doctor working as veterinary consultant in avian tamilnadu , can i put attestation and if i cxan what was the go number or anything else

11. Dibyajyoti Sarkar says

I am Sub Assistant Engineer (Grade pay 4400), WRI&DD, Govt. of West Bengal. Can I attest Xerox copies my family member’s educational documents ?

12. sabyasachi pradhan says

My father is an assistant teacher of a govt aided higher secondary school with 9000-40500pay +4800gp in west bengal.Does he belong to Gr-A officer of west bengal?

13. Faiz Ahmed says

Is is mandatory for the Gazetted officers to attest ? Can it be enforced ? Who else other than Gazetted officers can attests I mean like Notaries etc

14. Shyamal Roy says

I come to know that attestation of documents like mark-sheet, admit card, cast certificate can not be attested for closed relatives. Pls let me know upto which family jurisdiction i should not attested?
    can i attested mark-sheet of my sister’s daughter?.
    I am an assistant rank central gov. officer whit GP Rs.4800/- in PB-2.

My email id: shyamaledp@rediffmail.com

15. T.rai says

i am an asst. master in physics under W.B.Sub.E.S. appointed by WBPSC. my band pay is 9000-40500 and grade pay 4800. do i have the power of attestation?

16. Gour Chandra Das says

i) The functional promotion order which will be effected from 01/04/2013 for the post of Supervisory Grade Steno-Typist from the post of Gr.I steno-typist of my colleague has come. The date of retirement of my colleague is 31/08/2013. Please offer your valued suggestions as to how & by which month should my colleague opt for the promotion.

ii) My date of month for joining into W.B.Govt. Service under I&W Directorate is September. My present increment month is JULY. If I get functional promotion to the post of Supervisory Grade Steno-Typist from the post of Gr. I Steno-Typist with effect from the month of September. How should I opt for my promotion? Is it wise to get promotion from the month of September after getting annual increment to get financial benefit? Or………… …. any other method?

17. g.c.das says

18. Swadesh says

sir, I want to know the post of sub inspector of schools is gazetted or not?It has any attesting power? pay scale 9000 – 40500(PB-4),Grade pay 4700,entry point 12140, what should be the basic pay for this scale?
    sir,pls reply i shall be grateful to you..

19. Swadesh says

sir,pls reply i shall grateful to you..

20. Rajani Upadhyay says

Public Servants who belong to Gazetted Officers in Uttar Pradesh, India-

Group A: Assistant Professors (Grade Pay 6,000 Rs. and 7,000 Rs) / Associate Professors (Grade Pay 8,000 Rs. and more) Principals of Government Degree/PG Colleges only (equivalent Grade Pay 10,000 Rs.) as per state service rules/higher education rules of UP. Group B: PCS (Who’s Grade Pay is more or above than 6,600 Rs. are belongs to Group A), CMO (Medical Officer), PPS (Who’s Grade Pay is more or above than 6,600 Rs.), PCS (J) etc. Group C: Lower PCS, SHO and other i.e. gram vikas officers (recent government notification, 2012). It must be noted that only Professors/Officers (Assistant/ Associate/ Professors) and Principal (who is promoted from Associate Professors) of Government Degree Colleges are directly belong to Group A (Class I) service in the state selected through UPPSC. Other officers i. e (PCS, PPS, PCS-J) are recruited in Group B (Class II) and get promoted in Group A after availing 6,600 Rs. grade pay, i.e. 6th Pay Commission). And, it is better to contact group A and B public servants for certification/ verification.

21. pjitsr says

Sorry Imtiaz Ahamad, whenever a person retires from his service, let him be the Chief Secretary,at that point, i.e.11.59 p.m. of that day he is divested of all governmental powers he has enjoyed during his service life. It is well nigh an offence for both the parties, but a 17 years old teenager, is not supposed to know all the service rules, but an experienced officer must perforce know this. So a minimal censure from the court to him would likely is his punishment and he would allowed to let go, but the senior retired officer might mess up all his post retirement benefits for a considerably long time and complications might arise, so it is pointless to invite unwarranted troubles, after a long years of Govt. service. No G.O. regarding this is likely to b found , but according to one’s commonsense it is implied.

22. pjitsr says

Dear Mike,

If Annamalai University is properly recognised by the UGC, then you are empowered to attest documents, though, Govt. Aided or Sponsored college staff -i.e. Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor and Principals or same designation by the autonomous bodies like Universities are not direct Govt. Employees, the protocol rank exists and they can enjoy the power conferred upon Govt.Colleges or Central Universities Teaching Staff like Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor and Principals , V.C.s, Pro V.C.s , Registrars, Deputy or Sub Registrars et al can fully enjoy the power , if your state has not specifically barred this by any G.O or Memo.

23. tarun says

resp sir ,
    while the inspection of sonography center the medical suprintendent has collected the xerox copies attested himself .
    1.where F-form of the songraphy center are public document ( by far means according to evidance act sec 35 ) ?

2.When the medical officer is the complainent party in court ,can he attest the documents related to the court matter ?

3.Does the attestation of gazzeted officer is admissible in court as evidance when he himself is the party in the court ?

4.Where the law for attestion for gazzeted are mentioned actually in law ?

24. kanchan says

any direct govt employee(wb govt), belongs to such a post with an initial grade pay of INR 4400, he’ll b termed as GROUP-A, has the atteastation power. For onther state & central govt employee, they’ll be eligible if they serve for such a post in which the entry level initial grade pay is INR 5400.

• Dr. N Majumdar says

No, it’s not true! In case of the Central Govt. Services, attestation power is vested in both Group-A Gazetted Officers (GP Rs 5400 and above in PB-3 & PB-4) and Group-B Gazetted Officers (GP:4600, 4800 and 5400 in PB-2). In some cases Gr-B non-gazetted officers have also got attestation power. For example: Post Masters of local Post Offices, Rly. Station Masters.

• Dr. N Majumdar says

The classification like Class-I, Class-II, Class-III and Class-IV in Central Govt. and State Govt.(WB) Serices were replaced by the corresponding therms Group-A, Group-B, Group-C, and Group-D. In case of Central Govt., the Group-D category is going to be abolished and such employees are to be included in Group-C category as per the decision of govt. on the basis of the recommendation of the 6th Central Pay Commission.

25. Nirmalya Biswas says

In this context, let me add that when on one hand neither the Assistant Teachers nor the HMs of Govt. aided/ sponsored are “Govt. Employees” and only the HMs of such schools have the power of attestation delegated upon them, on the other, Assistant Masters/ Mistresses and the HMs of Govt. Schools, who are appointed through the WBPSC and not the WBSSC, (e.g. Hindu School, Hare School, Sakhawat Memorial , schools with phrases like “Govt. School”/ “Zilla School” in their names and are usually situated in the district headquarters) are both Govt. employees and Group-A Officers. The HMs are WBES and the AMs are WB(S)ES officers and they naturally have the power to attest testimonials and documents of the candidates.

26. Dr. N. Majumdar says

Yes, you are correct. ITO’s are Group-B Gazetted officers with Grade Pay of Rs 4800 in PB-2 and, Rs 5400 in PB-2 (Non-functional bsis) after 4 yrs of regular service. Inspectors are of lower rank (Non-gazetted).

• Souvik says

As far as I know, attestation power is vested on the officers (for central govt.) who is getting GP of 5400 or higher as 4400 for WB govt. Am I right?

• Dr. N Majumdar says

No, it’s not true. In case of the Central Govt. Services, attestation power is vested in both Group-A Gazetted Officers (GP Rs 5400 and above in PB-3 & PB-4) and Group-B Gazetted Officers (GP:4600, 4800 and 5400 in PB-2). In some cases Gr-B non-gazetted officers have also got attestation power. For example: Post Masters of local Post Offices, Rly. Station Masters.

27. sanya says

what is the main difference between an income tax inspector and officer??
    As far as I know, the officer post is gazetted
    whereas inspector post is non-gazetted
    So, will a promotion of income tax inspector…make him an income tax officer??

28. sanya says

If, I clear the SSC exam and get the post of an income tax inspector – GROUP-B, then, if I get promoted by clearing the internal exam which is conducted for promotion. Will I be called a gazetted officer?

p.s. i apologize, for a weird question. Hope you understood what i mean. Thanks a lot

29. sheo raj says

i am a gazetted officer but i do not have clear the point that a gazetted officer can attested the paper by his name or by designation i.e

attested

sheo raj
    Assistant Engineer
    apwd,

or

Attested

Assistant Engineer
    apwd

any one have clear idea so please tell about.
    thanks

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

It is not permissible to mention name of an officer in the seal as it may impersonate others. Seal would bear the designation & affiliations (office name/ locations etc.) and not the name of officer. But, the harsh reality is that most of the officers having attestation power indicate their names in the official seals. Therefore, the second seal showing “Asst. Engr., APWD” is correct . Thanks.

30. Sohail says

Sir/Madam,

A gazetted officer in hyderabad who is a principle of a junior college if he doesn’t sign my paper even i have all proofs at that time what i should do against him?

what action should i take against him? because i studied in his college but he is not signing my document. reply me as soon as

31. urmi says

is municipal commisoner gazatted officer?plz reply…and all group A employees are gazatted officer?another question special officer(group-A) of high court is gazatted officer or not?plzz reply…its urgent…

• Soumen Nath says

Municipal Commisoner -no. Special Officer of High court- Perhaps yes ( if he is a Government employee and fulfills criteria of being Class – I officer)

32. dr. utpal says

A Gazetted Officer means a Government Servant, whose appointment was published in the official gazette of the Government of India. All Class I (Now, Group A) officers are gazetted. Normally, the Gazette publication starts with words like “The President is pleased to appoint or…The Governor is pleased to appoint. . . “.

While he receives some privileges in his parent office by virtue of his gazetted status, a lot is expected from him. First, the poor GO is expected to be on duty for 24 hours in the sense that if called for duty at any time, he should turn up without any excuse. Higher responsibilities, not directly in line of his regular job like conducting some enquiries, etc. are assigned to him without any additional remuneration.

In the public domain, attestation is an important responsibility upon him. He is expected to serve the public by attesting the copies after verifying them with the original. Thus, his attestation (of affixing his signature on the copy) virtually means that he has compared the document with the original and he is satisfied that it is 100% true. Further, he can issue conduct certificate to people known to him. For all these responsibilities, he is not expected to charge any payment from the public.

Signing in green ink is not mandatory, though by convention many GOs sue green ink. However, his rubber stamp below his signature is very very essential.

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

It here clarified that only the Group-A Gazetted officers of Govt. of India service are appointed by the Hon’ble President of India. Their appointment letters bear the traditional expression that “The President of India is pleased to appoint…….”. Group-B Gazetted officers (Grade Pay 4600, 4800 in PB-2 on functional basis & GP 5400 in PB-2/ PB-3 on NON-FUNCTIONAL basis) in central govt. services are appointed by the Competent Authorities of the respective organisations/departments but, they are “Gazetted” because their appointments are notified and PUBLISHED the the Gazette of India like Gr-A Gazetted Officers. This is to mention that most of the Group-B officers (Grade Pay 4200) of central govt. services are NOT Gazetted officers.

(2) Unlike the Govt. of India Services, the Group-B officers of the State Govt. (West Bengal) are appointed by the Hon’ble Governor.

(3) Only the Group-A Gazetted officers in Central Govt. Services are supposed to be on duty 24×7. Group-B Gazetted officers under Central Govt. don’t have this obligation.

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

Hon’ble President is also the Appointing Authority in respect of certain Group-B Gazetted posts in Central Secretariate Service, such as Section Officers (Gr-B), Stenographers (Grade-I, Grade-II, Spl. Grade), Assistants and Official Language Service(Gr-B).

33. dr. utpal kumar karmakar says

Nobody has clear conception about Gazetted officer. Those class one officers who are appointed by President of India or Governor of States, and their appointmental record comes in Gazette of India. Power of attestation is not at all the criteria of categorization.
    In a Block, following officers are Gazetted –

1. BDO,
    2. MEDICAL OFFICER,
    3. VETERINARY OFFICER,
    4. ALL WBCS EXECUTIVES LIKE CTO, ADSR, FOOD INSPECTOR, ETC.
    5. AGRICULTURE OFFICER.

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

The basic concept is that those “govt. officers” are “Gazetted” officers whose appointment Notifications are PUBLISHED in the official Gazettes.
      The term “Gazetted Officer” is NOT used to refer to Group-A (old category Class-I) officers ONLY as far as the central govt. services are concerned. Few Group-B (old category Class-II) officers of central govt. are also “Gazetted” as Notifications of their appointments are PUBLISHED in the Gazette of India. For example, ACPs of DANIPs, few Station Masters (and not all) of Indian Railways, Asst. Geologists, Asst. Chemists, Asst. Geophysicists, Asst. Engnrs. of different central govt. deptts., Superintendent/ Asst. Superintendent of Posts etc. But, these Group-B Gazetted officers are not appointed by the President of India.
      This only for Group-A Gazetted Officers of Central Govt. where President is the appointing authority.
      Both Group-A & Group-B officers of state govt. services are appointed by the Governor. Notifications of appointments are done but NOT PUBLISHED in the Official Gazette (system abolished in 1978). So, the term “Gazetted” is not used for them.

Yes, it is very much true that power of attestation is different aspect. Vital point is the DELEGATION OF ATTESTATION POWER. That officer/official can attest to whom this power is delegated by the govt. It does not matter whether he/she belongs to “Gazetted” / “Group-A” services. Most common examples are all the Gazetted officers (Gr-A & Gr-B) under central govt. and all the Group-A officers of state govt. who are always authorised for attestation of documents by virtue of their position in the govt. service. But, there are many professionals who are in govt. service and ALSO AUTHORISED to attest though they are neither “Gazetted” officers in central govt. services nor Group-A officers in the state govt. employment. For example, Principals of Kendriya Vidyalays (central govt.), Scientists of central govt. research institutes/laboratories (central govt.), Professors of central educational institutes like IITs, IISc. etc. (govt. autonomous bodies), Head Masters of aided/sponsored schools (non-govt.), lecturers/professors of autonomous colleges/Universities (non-govt.), University registrars (including rank of Asst./ Deputy) (non-govt.) etc.

• Dr. N Majumdar says

Sorry, you also do not have clear concept of the appropriateness of use of the term “Gazetted Officers” in case of WB Govt. officers. The Group-A officers of WB govt. have attestation power much like the gazetted officers of the Centre or other states. The term “Gazetted” was abolished in respect of Group-A officers of WB in 1977 and, therefore, notification of appointment of Group-A officers of WB govt. service is not published since last quarter of 1977. Therefore, though BDO, Veterinary Officers, Agricultural Officers etc. of a civil block are all Goup-A officers selected by PSC and appointed by the Governor yet they are not “Gazetted” as notification of their appointment is not published in the Kolkata Gazette.

• Soumen Nath says

Judicial papers and stamp papers can not be attested as government get revenues from those. These should be submitted as ‘ Certified Copy ‘. Head Masters of High schools are not entitled to attest in general, but only to attest papers related to the students of their school for convenience.

34. manpreet kaur says

sir,apart from college principal ,can i attest my admit card from gazzted officer in the court because i am not able to reach my college and get back on the exam center.
    please reply fast…

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

Yes, you can. Gazetted officers of central govt. services and Group-A officers of state govt. services are always authorised and competent to grant certificates/ make attestation of documents.

35. urmi says

i just want to know apart from principal of govt.engg college who are the other member of the govt.engg.college gazated officers?
    i mean registrar ,lecturer,assistant professor,head of the dept of govt.engg.collge in west bengal are also gazated officers?
    i am eagerly waiting 4 ur reply sir..i really wanted the reply..

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

In strict sense Principal, Lecturers, Asst. Professors, Registrars etc. of govt. engg. colleges are all Group-A officers having attestation power in state govt. job but, they are not “Gazetted”. The term “Gazetted” is used to mean those govt. officers whose appointments are notified and PUBLISHED IN THE OFFICIAL GAZETTE. This is a traditional system in central govt. jobs. But, publication of such notification in Official Gazette was stopped for Group-A officers of state of services in year 1978. That’s why the term “Gazetted” is not used for them. Of course they have the power of attestation/certification like the Gazetted officers of central govt. or other states.

36. samir das says

sir, my next question is a assistant professor of any university gets a grade pay more than 4400.
    Is assistant professor of any university a gazetted officer??

• Tapash Chandra Mistry says

Best of my knowledge, Nirman sahayak not a pure government employee, So he can not attested documents. If I wrong then you reply me.

• Soumen Nath says

You are correct. Before going to the discussion, we must have a clear view about the categories of the employees who get their salary from Government ( directly or indirectly). (1) Purely Government like regular Staffs of different Government Offices , hospitals,Firms 9 like seed firms), Police , and Government School. No. of such Schools is very limited. Only the Zilla Schools , Hindu School, Hare School and Taki Government School comes under this purview ( please elaborate the list ) . Teachers of these schools are transferred on regular basis and they can not submit their nomination in any election ( like Panchayat, Minicipal , Bidhansabha or Loksabha). Any staff whose entry level basic pay was erstwhile scale 12 or promotion scale was scale 12 , is entitled to attestation. (2) Government aided: This list is the maximum. All the schools ( sponsored or aided ) , whether the teachers are recruited through SSC or Pry. Service Commission, falls under this category. Corporation,Munipality, Zilla Parisad or Panchays are treated as ‘ Local government ‘. Hence, employees of these offices are not treated as Government Official except some posts which are treated as ‘ on deputation ‘. These are like Executive Officer ( of Zilla Parisad and Municipality ), Finance Officer (of Zilla Parisad and Municipality ) , Secretary etc. In Gram Panchayat Level, only Executive Officer post is treated as government. Secretary and Job assistant , who get promoted at the said post, are treated as Government employee. Nirman Sahayak, being a staff of local government is not treated as Government employee and can not have an attestation power .

• s.s.singha says

Secretary & job assistants are promoted to executive officer? It is a joke? they are promoted to Executive Assistant who are not treated as Govt. employee.

• Tapash Chandra Mistry says

As per above govt. order where written G.P. below 5400 and above 4400/- not a gazetted officer?

37. says

5&6: Before 1978, joining, transfer etc. of Govt. Officers used to publish in Calcutta Gazette. Those officers had the power of attestation and power to grant certificates. Publication of names abolished thereafter due to increasing numbers of officers and grouping of services introduced. But still the term 'Gazetted Officer' is used for officers having Grade Pay equal or above 5400/- which was entry level Grade Pay of Gr. A Officer.

38. says

"Pay is personal to him": A phrase from West Bengal Service Rule. Let us take an example.
    Mr. X is an Assistant Teacher by designation.
    His Pay is say Rs. 30,000/-
    Pay is a data corresponding to Mr X, like Date of Birth which is personal. Not a data of Mr. X as Assistant Teacher.

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

Teachers in aided/sponsored schools are not at all “govt. employees” though they get the scales same as those of certain Group-A posts in state govt. jobs.
      They are neither “Gazetted officers” (central govt.) because their appointment is not NOTIFIED AND PUBLISHED in Official Gazette. They are not “Group-A officers” (state govt.) as they are not “govt. employees”. Power of attestation is only delegated to the H.M. though he/she is not “govt. employee”/ not a Gazetted officer of central govt. / not a Group-A officer of state govt.

39. says

1,2,3: Due to Career Advancement Scheme, if someone gets the pay of a Group A post, he will not get the status of Gr. A officer. The pay admissible, may be of a Gr. A employee, but the pay is said to be personal to him. Hence he will not get the power of attestation or power to grant certificates.

• Dr. N. Majumdar says

Those “govt. officers” are called “Gazetted” officers whose appointments are Notified AND PUBLISHED IN THE OFFICIAL GAZETTE. In the current system PUBLICATION OF NOTIFICATION OF APPOINTMENT is done only in respect of certain category of officers who hold Group-A and in some cases Group-B posts in Central Govt. services. Appointment of Group-A officers in state govt. services are, of course, notified but, this notification is NOT PUBLISHED in the Official Gazette (Kolkata Gazette) and therefore, the term “Gazetted” is not used for them. But, undoubtedly they have authority for grant of certificates/ attestation of documents like Gazetted officers of central govt.

It is NOT TRUE that power of attestation is always vested on the “Gazetted” officers (in case of central govt. services) and “Group-A” officers (in case of state govt. services) only. Attestation power is ALSO delegated by the govt. to certain category of NON-GOVT. officers/officials who are neither “Gazetted” nor “Group-A” officers. For example, H.M.s of aided/sponsored schools of WB, Lecturers/ Professors/ Registrars/ Principals/ Vice-Principals of non-govt. Colleges/ Universities etc.

Pay is not always linked with the rank/status (Gazetted/ Group-A) in govt. service. A non-gazetted official of lower rank may get the scale of a gazetted post (higher rank) in central govt. because of Modified Assured Career Progression (MACP) scheme (like Career Progression Scheme in state govt. jobs) after 10/20 years of regular service. This is simply financial upgradation and not promotion (i.e. upgrdation of original duty & responsibility, rank/status). Moreover, a “Group-B Gazetted” officer may get scale of a “Group-A Gazetted” officer through financial upgradation without promotion.

Same is true for state govt. officers/officials. A Group-B officer may get the scale of a Group-A post because of CAS which is financial upgradation not at all promotion. He/she would not neither assume the duty & responsibility nor get rank/status which are attached to the Group-A post. He/she shall continue to serve in the old post with previous designation/rank but, with higher pay.

They are neither “Gazetted officers” (central govt.) nor “Group-A officers” (state govt.). Power of attestation is only delegated to the H.M. though he/she is not “govt. employee”/ not a Gazetted officer of central govt. / not a Group-A officer of state govt.

• Nirmalya Biswas says

• Dr. N Majumdar says

Yes, Mr. Biswas, I agree with you on this point. HMs and AMs of govt. schools are appointed by WBPSC and, therefore, they are “govt. officers” of Gr-A rank having attestation power.

• Nishant Drabla says

I Have booked a flight ticket but not having a specific id (lost)
            now the flight attendants are asking me a Group-1/A gajjeted officer attested document ( A4 size paper with details of flight )
            Can Anyone tell me about group-1/A gajjeted officers
            to whom i should contact

• pjitsr says

Sir’s- Dr N.Majumdar’s reply is exact and specific. It is the picture you are asking for, and as I have mentioned the rule may vary state wise.

Dr Prasenjit Chattopadhyay.
        Assistant Professor, S.C. Mahavidyalaya,Habra, W.B

40. vihari says

Gazetted Officer is a higher level ranked public servant and authority for a gazetted officer to stamp comes from president of India or governor of states or union territories. In India, Gazette is published on regular bases by The eGazette of India, it is an official Central Government or state government publication (also called Gazette) which publishes the appointment or promotions of certain government officials. An officer or public servant, who is appointed under the seal of the Governor of the concerned state or by the President of India at national level, requires being notified/listed in the Indian Gazette or State Government Gazette is considered as a Gazetted Officer. If a person’s name is published in the Gazette, he/she is called Gazetted, in most cases they are honorary Justice of peace and have same standing as some of the Magistrates. This is the reason why the signature of such public servant is recognised on certain documents. Such officers, among other functions have also in their jurisdiction, the power to verify the documents for academic, immigration and other purposes. The Government of India or the Government of States in India has classified the public servants/ officials into Class I, II and III, IV (also: Group- A, B, C and D). Grade I is the highest rank class and the Grade IV is the least, however Government of India planned to merge the Group IV or D into the Group III or C.[1] Grade I and II belong to the class of officers whose transfer, appointment, promotion and superannuation is published on a yearly basis in the official gazette of state or central government. These officials belong to the managerial class of the government services and belong to the policy formulation, policy implementation, personnel management etc.
    The State of West Bengal has abolished the system of classifying the State Government employees into Gazetted and non-Gazetted services vide GO No. 10606-F dated 25.09.1978. State Government employees belonging to Group A will be authorised and competent to grant certificates which are required to be granted by Gazetted Officer or to attest papers where such attestation is required to be done by Gazetted Officers in other States or Centre as per GO No. 4890-F dated 16.05.1979. While granting certificates or attesting papers a group A employee of the State Government will indicate his designation and further add that he belongs to Group ‘A’ under the State Government.[2]

Ranks
    Indian Government or State Governments in India has categorised their employees into Group A, B, C and D or in Class I to IV.
    Class I or Group A-Executive power vested in these categorised public servants with decision making powers:
    Lieutenant and above in Indian Army, members of All India Services, though posted to states; State Government Services (selected through Public Service Commissions in States) or promoted public servants/ officers from states to the cadre of Assistant Commissioner or above and to the cadre of All India services; Assistant/ Associate Professors/Principal of Government Degree Colleges, Patent Examiner(Official Designation- Examiner of Patents and Designs) Additional District Civil surgeons, Executive Engineers and above, District Medical Officer and above, , Geologists of Geological Survey of India etc are Gazetted officers and have the authority to verify and attest documents.
    Class II or Group B-Officers with limited supervisory or subordinate managerial role:
    In Army – Naib Subedar, Subedar & Subedar Major, AAO in C & AG (Controller General of Defence Accounts); Air Force – Junior warrant officer to Master Warrant Officer, Section Officer; BDO, Tahsildar, Junior Doctors in Government hospitals, TDO ,Assistant Executive Engineer, Magistrate (SDM) and CO (police department),Income Tax Officer(ITO), Lecturers/ Teachers in government intermediate/senior secondary education institutes or schools.
    Class III or Group C-Semi skilled with no or lesser decision making authority:
    Headmaster of Government high schools,Clerks, Head clerk, [Naik to Havaldar], Havaldar major (army) LAC/AC/CPL/Sergent (AIR FORCE), NCOs, Assistant, Typist, Stenographer, Income Tax Inspector, Tax Assistant, Telephone operator, etc.
    Class IV or Group D-manual workers, Unskilled or semiskilled:
    Peon, attender, gardener, driver etc.
    Who can certify documents
    Attestation of copies of original documents for academic or immigration: Only Class I and Class II, as the case may be, public servants/officers mentioned above in ranks and bank managers of a nationalised bank as well.
    Character certificate: Police records verification and Class I gazetted officers
    Citizenship certification: Citizenship certification is limited to very few officials e.g., Sub-Divisional Magistrate
    Non-Gazetted Officers
    All officers who are in class III and IV are Non-Gazetted Officers or public servants, e.g. Nationalised bank officials are not gazetted officers but protocol ranks exist and they are authorised to certify copies of documents.