Upgradation of Qualification of Pry. Teachers as per RTE Act

Government of West Bengal
School Education Department
Elementary Education Branch
Bikash Bhawan, Bidhannagar, Salt Lake City, Kolkata-91

No. 389(38)-SE(EE)/PTTI-7/11, Date: 13.08.2012.

From: A. Roy, Secretary to the Govt. of West Bengal

To: 1-19) The Chairman, District Primary School Council ……………………………………….. (all districts)
20-38) The District Inspector of Schools (PE) ……………………………………………………… (all districts)

Subject: Up-gradation of qualifications of Pry. School Teachers as per provision of RTE Act, 2009.

Ref: 1. NCTE Notification No. 61-03/20/2010/NCTE/N&S dt. 03.08.2010
2. NCTE Notification F. No. 61-1/2011/NCTE/N&S dt. 29.07.2011
3. NCTE Letter No. 62-5/2008/NCTE/N&S (Pt)/A 53953 dt. 04.07.2012
4. This Department No. 277-SE (P)/10M-6/09 (Pt) dt. 28.03.2012


As per stipulation under Section 23(2) of RTE Act, 2009 all school teachers who are engaged for teaching in elementary classes shall possess the requisite minimum qualifications as prescribed by the competent authority and if the existing teacher do not have the said minimum qualifications they shall acquire such qualifications within a period of five years from the date of enforcement of the Act.

Now, being authorized by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India as the academic authority, the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) has prescribed the minimum qualifications of teachers vide Notification Nos. as stated above.

The State Government has meanwhile initiated all effective measure to upgrade the qualifications of the teachers who do not possess the same as per requirement of NCTE. It has been decided that enhancement of minimum academic qualifications of Pry. School Teachers will be done through National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) and West Bengal Council of Rabindra Open Schooling (WBCROS); and the responsibility of providing Teacher Training Course (D. El. Ed) will be vested upon West Bengal Broad of Primary Education (WBBPE) through open and distance learning (ODL) mode.

Now, this Department deems it necessary to clarify certain points on the relevant issues as furnished below:

1) Teachers appointed prior to 3 September, 2001 shall go by State Government norms and they need not have to up-grade their qualifications.

2) Teachers appointed between 3rd September, 2001 to 31st December, 2005 possessing academic qualification as per State Government norms and completed one yr/2yrs Teacher training course from State recognised Institutions are not required to enhance their qualifications as per note 2 under first schedule to the NCTE (Determination of minimum qualifications for Recruitment of Teachers in Schools) Regulation 2001 dt. 4th September,2001 published in terms of F. No. 9-2/2001/NCTE dated 03.09.2001.

3) Teachers appointed from 01.01.2006 onwards should possess at least 50% marks in H.S. Examination or equivalent (45% in case of candidates belonging to reserved category and Exempted Category) and 2 years Diploma in Teacher Training Course (D. El. Ed.); or should be Graduate from recognised University (with any percentage of marks) with 2 years Diploma in Elementary Education.

4) Primary school teachers appointed after 03.09.2001 having B. Ed or equivalent qualification shall be required to obtain 6 months Special Training to be conducted with the approval of the National Council for Teacher Education.

It is now clarified that any teaching personnel appointed on or after 03.09.2001 having deficiency in the aforesaid qualifications shall have to up-grade his/her academic qualification to the extent of 50% marks in H.S. (45% in case of reserved candidates as well as candidates belonging to Exempted category) if he/she is not a Graduate from a recognised university (with any percentage of marks); and thereafter/simultaneously he/she will have to undergo 2 years Diploma Course in Elementary Education. However if any candidate completes one yr. Course in Teacher Training from State recognised Institution on or before 31.12.2005, another one year’s Bridge Course in Teacher Education shall meet his Teacher Training requirement and same will be treated as equivalent to D. El. Ed.

It may further be clarified that if a candidate is deficient in both academic and teacher training qualifications, he/she will be allowed to pursue both courses simultaneously on the condition that final examination result of teacher training course will be withheld till attainment of 50% marks in Higher Secondary Examination.

It is presumed that you have already collected bio-data of all Pry. School teachers under your control in pursuance of this Department No. 277-SE (P)/10M-6/09 (Pt) dt. 28. 03. 2012. I would now request you to furnish a report on the following points as per proforma to this Department by 17.08.2012 positively.


Name of District Primary School Council:

No. of teachers who have completed One yr. PTT Course and now require One yr. Bridge Course through ODL mode:
No. of teachers require two yrs. D. El. Ed. Course through ODL mode:
No. of teachers who completed B. Ed. course and now require six months Spl. Training course:
No. of teachers who require enhancement of Academic qualification-
(a) H.S. with 50% marks (Candidates Passed Madhyamik only):
(b) Enhancement of Marks in H.S. (candidates passed H.S. but obtained below 50% marks):

Yours faithfully,

Sd/- Secretary

No. 389-SE dated 13.08.2012.


    Leave a Reply

  1. bappa says

    I joined school in 2003 with MP degree.in 2012 i complit HS degree with 50% marks from RABINDRA MUKTO VIDYALAY.But with out permissiom of higher authority.our degree is valid or not?weather i have to admision for HS agen or not?

  2. says

    sir,i am kingshuk mondal, ht of tikargram jb school under bankura dpsc……..about the above comment…. who are says that ,” hs equivalent cirtificate from army”….. this is not same to wbbhse, the army cirtificate is not recomended by UGC/board. according to my view… those teachers discuss to SIs about this matter.

  3. joydab sarkar says

    I joined as primary teachers on 7/7/1999 in murshidabad DPSC.i am sc category .h.s marks 43%.i have graduation, non trained.i want to know that can i get primary basis training /D.El.Ed and wheather i have to upgradation or not.plz riplay soon..

  4. Monidipa Ghosh says

    I joined as Primary Teacher on 25/01/2006 in Paschim Medinipur DPSC. I am OBC category, Higher Secondary marks 45.6%. I have no Graduation. I want to know that whether I have to upgradation my qualification or not.

  5. sandip kanjilal says

    I am a para teacher in high school.and I have not 50% marks in HS.I complete B.A (M.Aalso).now can I upgrade my HS number ?or not ?and which necessary?please reply.


    ami ekjon ssk teacher. amader qualification upgredetioner jonno bola hoyeche . online a form fillup o mone hiy bstart hoye geche. kintu kon website theke form fill up kora jabe ami janina. kindly er somondhe ektu details bolben.

  7. ramprasad patel says

    My appointment department of education 1986.I have got h.s. not have any type training. having been trained in recruitment rules were rules.According to the RTE Act will be trained ?

  8. rudra chhetri says

    sir, i am complete one year course in teacher training ptt on 1992-93,but appointment on feb2011. i have to nesessory one year training? memo No. on 15.06.2012’s clouse No. 4 mention there are not required to upgrade training qualification. what to do?

    • Edward says

      sir, i am complete one year course in teacher training ptt on 1993-94 and H.S 50%,but appointment on march 2014. i have to nesessory one year training? memo No. on 15.06.2012’s clouse No. 4 mention there are not required to upgrade training qualification. what to do?

  9. keya mitra chatterjee says


  10. Tarun Kumar De says

    Amar primary teacher ate joining 2000 ate. Ami ake year ar training korechi. Amar hs marks below 50%. amar ki pher qualification up-grade korer dorkar ache?

  11. Swapan Kumar Sing says

    3 সেপ্টেম্বরের আগে নিযুক্ত untrained প্রাথমিক শিক্ষকদের রাজ্য সরকার কি পূর্ণ যোগ্যতার শিঁক্ষক হিসাবে গণ্য করেছেন ?নাকি upgradation এর সুযোগ থেকে তাঁদের বঞ্চিত করা হলো ?

  12. PRABHAT kr. GHOSH says

    I, Prabhat Kr. Ghosh,primary teacher joining on 17/12/90.Got my P.T.T.I training in 1992-1993 in gov. college for one year (madhyamik pass).do I need upgradation to be the Head teacher in my school?

  13. Satinath Banerjee says

    Sir, I am a serving Pry Teacher, completed 01 yr Bridge course in ODL mode, for achieving Professional qualification. No. of representations have been made by me and others on the Subject of updation of Academic qualification. The same issue has been taken up with Govt of India, Min of Def. They Have replied to your School Education Deptt, alongwith copy of Policy vide their letter No. 0515/Gen/DGR/Emp-3 dated 02 Jul 2012 alongwith a copy of Original Policy letter, with a copy to the concerned EXSM, (ATs) . NCTE, HQ (Which is under Min. Per and Min of HRD) have also been intimated with all concerned docs. Sir, Please go through and kindly peruse all the documents and Certificate, attached to this mail. If our Council and your Deptt kindly take an initiation and prefer a ‘Statement of Case’ to NCTE, HQ and GOI, Cabinet Sectt. The Issue will definitely be made good without any problem. Otherwise, for heaven-shake, todays’s un-resolved issue may invite another
    acute problem for our State of same nature, as it now. And may lead to be a subjudious matter of a genuine issue indeed . The “CORPORAL EDUCATION TEST” passed by an matriculate (SNCO:Sr. Non-Com. Offr) under SCHEME ‘A’ (Above 50% of marks in all subjects) are issued with the Certificate termed as Equivalent H.S Examination of a recognised Board of Pre-University of an Indian University. The same Certificate of H.S. (with 50% of of marks) is recognised for the purpose of any employment. Even the Certificate is recognised as Equivalent to H.S. Examination by the 13 or more Universities of India for the purpose of higher Studies also. The authorisation of Govt of India, Deptt of Personnel, Cabinet Secretariat and the authority of Min of Def, Min of Pers and Trg, Min of Home Affairs, Govt of India have considered as Equivalent of H.S. This has the affiliation and . Repeated correspondence by me and also by Min of Def, Govt of India. Certificate of Graduation is also valid for any service in India and within it’s territory, they also permitted to appear even for any job where Graduation is the prescribed Qualification. Please peruse and persue the policy and come to an decision. It’s an immediate and urgent and issue. for the life inconnection of bread and butter for those EXSM, who have already around an age of +_50. Waiting for your positive and clear instruction.

  14. Arun Ghatani says

    I Joined as primary teacher on 6/11/2000 in siliguri sub-divisional primary teacher council, and I am untrained. What I have to do for qualify myself as A category teacher for further promotion as head teacher.



  16. Ankurendu ghosh says

    Ami 2010 e dei in herness case service peyechi but amar HS e 50% number neai tai ami NIOS e addmission korechilam but tara aj je taka cheyechilo seta r digun chaiche se khetra ekhon Rabindra mukta vidyalaya te last date chole geche sei khetre amar ki koroniyo ??????

  17. Sati Nath Banerjee says

    A serving Pry Teacher, undergoing 01 yr Bridge course for achieving Professional qualification, but \by virtue of having 20 years of service in Indian Air Force and \Certificate of H.S. (with 50% of of marks) is recognised by any pre-university and universities of India, as per the authority of Min of Pers and Trg, Min of Home Affairs and in of Defense , Govt of India. This has the affiliation recognition of Director Gen of Employment and Training. Cabinet of Ministries, Govt of India. Repeated correspondence by me and also by Min of Def, Govt of India. Certificate of Graduation is also valid for any service in India and within it’s territory, they also permitted appear for any job ,where Graduation is the prescribed Qualification. Please , reconcile, review the policy and come to an decision, which will have to be consider as equivalent to Graduation. If it is decided not to entertain the above policy, shall it not be against the Court of Law? Please clear the doubt of enormous teachers having of with same query. please Acknowledge, advise as to what should be done by those teacher. It’s an immediate and urgent and urgent issue. Waiting for your positive and clear instruction.

    • Sonu Sinha says

      Good evening Mr Banerjee, I am in the same boat and fully aggreed with your idea . You have mentioned certificate of H. S. with 50% marks as per Min of Per ………………….. Govt of India. Pl Inform about the letter / letter No. ধন্যবাদ ।

      • Stinath Banerjee says

        Friend send yr e-mail address, I will definitely send you the authorities received by me. Make correspondence to NCERT, School Edn Department from No. of Candidates and then let us write to Min of HRD in form of a joint petition. despite of repeated correspondence from Central Govt and me, they not yet responded neither yes nor no. They are just subsiding the issue. whereas, in rest of the states of India, the same has been accepted//

  18. Papiya Chakraborty says

    I was appointed as primary teacher on 2004 , my qualification is Madhyamik and I am physically handicapped . I want to know that whether I have to upgrade my qualification or not. I have no professional training.

  19. rupinder kaur says

    sir i have joined on 11-3-2013 as ett teacher under ssa. i m an MA, BED .sir there is condition of six months special inservice training course. sir please reply from where i can do.

  20. asim basak says

    ami obc-b category. graduation pass ney. hs e marks chilo 47.6%. ptt seasion 04-05. pry joining date 25/2/10. 6/4/13 te bridge course e admison hoechi.
    bridge course e result pete gele amake ki hs e 50% korte hobe?

    • Sanjoy Roy says

      I, Sanjoy Roy single teacher in Jamuadih Adibasi Primary School reside in Raghunathpur Purulia approx 18 km from my school. So I have to travel daily by 36 km.Moreover being a single teacher I have to manage all my school activities alone.I have to manage my family matters on Sunday only. By this situation I received my study centre in J N Konar Pry. Teachers’ Training Institute of Bardhaman district far far from my residence. So sir it is very troublesome for me to manage the school and the family and the course of D El Ed.

      Therefore, I request you to be kind enough to change my study centre to Sanka Govt. Pry. Teachers’ Training Instute Purulia OR Deben Mahato Pry. Teachers’ Training Instute Paharigora.I hope your kind attension and consideration in this matter.

      Sanjoy Roy
      Teacher -in-charge
      Jamuadih Adibasi Pry School
      Dist-Purulia WB

      For ref : Form No. 38157
      Registration no. 1701010238157 of 2012-14 2 years D El Ed course (ODL mode)

  21. shamik acharya says

    appointed after 1/1/2006.with one year ptti.but in h.s 37%.how and from where i have to enhance my required percentage (50-37=13%)as per ncte rules.please clarify. thank you.


    Sir, I am a serving Pry Teacher, joined in Jan 2010,as an Ex-Serviceman(IAF). The requisite qualification and eligibility for Pry Teachers are now well defined by your Board. As per GOI, Min of Pers , vide their letter No. OM No. 15012/8/82/(Estt(D) dt 12 Feb 1986 ( (Recently GOI, Min of Def. has already forwarded a copy of this order to School Education Department(Primary Branch) vide No.0515/Gen/DGR/Emp-3 dt 02 Jul 12) that, Ex-servicemen, who has put up 15 yrs or more Service in Army, Air Force or Navy, are issued with Graduation Certificate which is equivalent to Graduate as per OM of Govt of India. Including all other states, The Hon’ble Governor of West Bengal, President of Rajya Sainik Board and the Vice-President , Hon’ble Chief Minister of West Bengal are also requested and intimated the same vide GOI, Min of Home No.36034/5/85-Estt(SCT) dt 14 Apr 87. It is emphasised in the certificate concerned that the Certificate be considered eligible for appointment to any post/vacancy in Gp ‘C’ post in State Govt/ Govt undertaking/Banks etc, for which the essential qualification is Graduate and where experience of technical and professional nature is not essential. Please clarify the ambiguity raised on the subject and the decision on that subject may please be circulated to all the DPSCs and DM concerned.

    • Stinath Banerjee says

      The above context had been forwarded to Min if Def, DGR and Min of HRD, Govt of India. They have confirmed the eligibility applicable to the case concerned and accordingly requested School Education Department , West Bengal with covering authority (a copy of letter is attached, for ready reference). No reply has been initiated from any end.
      Certificate of H.S. as good as Graduation issued by the Govt of India, and even for further study and recognition in all respect has been notified by at least 15 universities (UGC granted), and all the State Govts under the union territory of India. Please clarify to eradicate the confusion pending at all concerned. Please refer Min of Def.Govt of India letter No. 02 July 2012.

  23. prasant rao says

    I m primary teacher appointed 01-03-2004,I have scored 43% in HS, but completed 2yr graduation in 1999 with 40% marks from calcutta university.I have upgraded my HS percentage from nios in 2012 with the permission of chairman of dpsc.how will i tag



  25. Sangeeta sengupta says

    My father is chandan sengupta . He joined in damodorpur primary school on 29.08.2003 and further transper to chandrapur board primary school on 6.10.2005 under amta circle in howrah district till date. He is an ex-army personal and passed HS exam with 41.4 % marks with science in 1979. And he was also get a graduation certificate from army department on 30 sept. 2000 when he retired from army , should he upgrade his HS for 50% marks?

  26. Sanjoy Roy says

    I am Sanjoy Roy . I Joined in Narayanpur Pry.School on 26.12.2003 ,thereafter transfered to Jamuadih Adibasi Pry. School Raghunathpur 2 circle Purulia where working till dated .I already had possessed 51.7% marks in H.S.before appointment but have no D. El.Ed or P.T.T.I. Should I upgrade my Qualification?

  27. Abedur Rahaman says

    I am a primary teacher. I joined to school on 03.03.2010 as non traind. I completed 1 year P.T.T Course in 2011.how can i do b.el.ed course. Abedur Rahaman. Itahar. Uttar dinajpur.

  28. Brindaban Mondal says

    I am a primary school teacher under DPSC south 24 pgs.date of appointment is 19.8.1992. I have completed one year PTTI training in 2000-2001 session.do i upgrade to 1 yr bride course?or not?.Can I require any upgradration of profesinial qualification.my qualification Madyamik pass.

  29. Pintu Das says

    I am Pintu Das Head teacher of suryapur FP School and employed on 7.04.2003 and complete 1year PTTI Traning of 1999-2000 year and appointed as a head teacher on 9.12.2011.Can I require any upgradration of profesinial qualification.

  30. Asim kumar Mukhopadhyay says

    I am a primary school teacher under DPSC Howrah. My date of appointment is 01.9.2003. I have completed one year PTTI training in 2005-2006 session. Am I eligible for upgradation of grade A teacher pay and inclusion of my name in the Head teacher panel as per your above letter ?

  31. Shyamal kumar Bhattacharjee says

    I am a primary school teacher under DPSC Howrah. My date of appointment is 29.8.2003. I have completed one year PTTI training in 2005-2006 session. Am I eligible for upgradation of grade A teacher and inclusion of my name in the Head teacher panel as per your above letter ?

  32. shankar Mukherjee says

    I joined my primary school service since 2006, ways to get transfer from banshihari to balurghat.
    I am also a DRP of English. please send me the reply. thanking you.

  33. Rakesh kr dikshit says

    I had joined as primary school teacher at D P S C howrah on 02.04.2001 and compleated one year PTTI Training on 2005 -2006 batcht to obtain result on 2011.am i not eligable to be on head teachers panel under process in which only 2004 -2005 batch PTTI candidated were allowed ?if not then why?

  34. Balaram Sarkar says

    Can a person who is already a primary teacher sit for coming primary teacher’s recruitment exam 2012 ? With new qualification and for the new scale ?
    And what should be the new (H.S) pay scale?

  35. kamalesh ch roy says

    i had joined as primary teacher on 10.06.05 with one yrs ptti and hs 55%. Can i chance for one yrs bridge course? If i comple d.el.ed or d.ed then can i chance for ssc with d.el.ed?

  36. pinku sarkar says

    আমি পিংকু সরকার ,পিতা-অজিত সরকার ,গ্রাম-মিলনপল্লী, থানা- ইসলামপুর ,জেলা-উত্তর দিনাজপুর, গত ৩-০২-২০১১ তারিখে নন ট্রেনার হিসাবে মানিকপুর প্রাথমিক বিদ্যালয়ে প্রাইমারী টিচার পদে যোগদান করেছি। ২০০৫-২০০৬ সালে এক বছরের P.T.T.I CORCE এবং ২০১০-২০১১ সালে এক বছরের BRIDGE করেছি (with permision memo no.171/BPE/2011) । এক বছরের P.T.T.I CORCE প্রাপত প্রাইমারী টিচাররা Training benefit পেলেও আমি গত ২১-০৯-২০১১ তারিখে দু-বছরের ট্রেিনং (D.El.Ed) এর Certificate Chairman of D.P.S.C Uttar Dinajpur নিকট submit করা সত্ত্বেও এখনও পয়ন্ত Training benefit পাইনি । তাহলে Training benefit কবে থেকে পাবো। যদি পায় তাহলে বেতন কত বাড়বে ।

  37. Arup manna ,Daspur says

    mp- % number intu 10\100. H.S-% num intu 15\100. ptt\d.ed-70%=20, 69%=17. TET= number of answer intu .4 .like 65 intu .4=26. n.c.c=1, game&sport=1,art & literature=1. music=1. performing art=1 . intervew=10 9002738417

  38. rahul says

    i have 49.9% in HS 2006 passout and also have master degree .i m in OBC-B category. can i get the chance of new primary vacancy 43000 which notification will be declared in september 2012. if get then how to calculate academics marks in my case what will get in academics portion???????? pls reply me as soon as possible.

    • Raja Dey says

      You certainly can sit for the recruitment examination for selection of primary school teacher because you have completed your graduation.
      The minimum qualification for primary school teacher is either 50% marks in H.S or a bachelor degree from a recognized university and 2yrs diploma in elementary education but those who does not have the diploma can sit for the exam before 2014.

      • Arnab Nath says

        Mr. Raja Dey, all the criteria you have mentioned are for In-Service Primary Teachers regarding up-gradation of their academic qualifications according to WB Govt. Notification No. 277-SE(P)/12-6/09(Pt-I).

        • essen says

          Does any authority of School Education Department or WBBPE, sees or at opens this blog. Because , till date we could not get any reply of any query of anyone. Even, NCTE, Min of HRD have been sending their Recommendation of Recognition of Military Educational Certificates and repeated Reminders too. But neither the Ministries or Competent authorities are getting any reply from them nor the affected Ex-Servicemen-in-service teachers. Even they are reluctant to reply the letter of Under Secy, Govt of India, Min of HRD, Asst Secy, Govt of West Bengal. Bengal Awake!