GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
Memo No. 506-FB Howrah, the 13th September, 2022
From: Shri Manoj Pant, Principal Secretary, Finance Department
To: All Directorates under Finance Department
The Annual Budget for the Financial Year, 2023-24 will be presented to the Legislative Assembly during the last quarter of the current financial year. The Finance Department has taken up the work for preparation of Revised Estimates, 2022-23 and Budget Estimates, 2023-24. The process of formulation of Budget has to be completed sufficiently early. It is, therefore, requested to take immediate steps for formulation of Revised Estimates (RE), 2022-23 and Budget Estimates (BE), 2023-24 under the Heads of Account pertaining to “Administrative Expenditure” and “Receipts”.
While framing the “Revised Estimates” for expenditure, following factors should be considered and RE should include:
- All actual expenditure incurred till date during the current financial year;
- All requirements / anticipated expenditure, based on appropriate calculation, for upcoming months of the current financial year;
- Re-appropriation of funds already made or supposed to be made;
- New Sub Heads opened during the current financial year;
- Additional funds released till date during the current financial year;
- Additional fund requirement over BE, 2022-23 for upcoming months of current financial year with appropriate remarks to substantiate the additional estimate;
- Any other relevant factors that have a bearing on the expenditure during the current financial year.
While framing the “Budget Estimates” for expenditure for 2023-24, following factors should be considered:
- Budget Estimates should be prepared assessing the requirement with reference to all available data;
- Actuals of previous year and Revised Estimates of current financial year should form the basis for preparing Budget Estimates for coming financial year;
- Reports of IFMS on actual expenditure during previous year and current financial year may be consulted for preparation of estimates;
- Due consideration should be given for any special features that may have bearing on the expenditure during next financial year;
While preparing both Revised & Budget Estimates for expenditure & receipts, any substantial deviation from previous year’s actual should be corroborated with appropriate remarks. In case of opening of new Heads of Account during last quarter of the current financial year; separate proposals should be sent to the Finance Department immediately to incorporate such probable expenditure/ receipt within RE, 2022-23 and/ or BE, 2023-24.
The economy instructions already in force should be kept in view while framing the budget proposals for Revised Estimates, 2022-23 and Budget Estimates, 2023-24.
The budget proposals should be furnished within 26th September, 2022 in the format enclosed herewith at Annexure-I & II. A soft copy of same in MS Excel format should be send through email to email@example.com.
This may be treated as URGENT.
Sd/- Manoj Pant
Additional Chief Secretary