Government of West Bengal
No: H&FW/120/20 Dated 22/03/2020
Whereas the State Government has been taking up all necessary measures for combating the spread of COVID 19, and whereas it is imperative to adopt social distancing and isolation measures across the identified urban and rural areas in the state of West Bengal;
Whereas the Government of West Bengal, in exercise of powers conferred under section 2,3 and 4 of the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897, has framed the West Bengal Epidemic Disease, Covid-19 Regulations, 2020 for prevention and containment of Corona Virus disease, 2019;
Now therefore, under section 7 read with section 13 of the aforesaid Regulation, the Government of West Bengal hereby notifies “Complete Safety Restrictions” w.e.f. 17:00 Hrs of 23/03/2020 to 24:00 Hrs of 27/03/2020 in the urban and rural areas mentioned in the Schedule I to this order stipulating the following restrictions:
1. No public transport services including operation of taxis, auto-rickshaws will be permitted. The exception will include transport of all kinds to and from hospitals, airports, railway station, bus stands/terminals and goods carriers carrying food and essential commodities.
2. All shops, commercial establishments, offices and factories, workshops, godowns etc shall close their operations.
3. All foreign returnees and other such persons so required by the health personnel are directed to remain under strict home quarantine for a period as decided by the local health authorities.
4. People are required to stay at home and come out only for basic services while strictly following social distancing guidelines issued earlier.
5. The following establishments/services including those in the private sector providing essential services shall be excluded from the above restrictions:
a. Law and Order, Courts and Correctional Services
b. Health Services
c. Police, Armed Forces and Paramilitary Forces
d. Electricity, Water and Conservancy services
e. Fire, Civil Defense and Emergency Services
f. Telecom, Internet, IT & ITES and postal services
g. Banks and ATMs
h. Food including PDS, groceries, vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, bread and milkselling, storage and transportation
i. E commerce of groceries, food items, and home delivery of food
j. Petrol Pumps, LPG gas, oil agencies, their godowns and transportation
k. Medicine shops, optical stores, pharmaceutical manufacturing and their transportation
l. Production and Manufacturing units requiring continuous process may continue to function after obtaining necessary approval from the District Magistrate
m. Print, electronic media and social media
n. Manufacturing units engaged in production of essential commodities
6. Any congregation of more than 7 persons shall be prohibited in public places.
7. If there is any doubt whether any establishment is essential or not, the District Magistrate/Municipal Commissioner shall be the competent authority to decide.
8. All District Magistrates, Police Commissioners, Municipal Commissioners, SPs, ADMs, CMOHs, SDOs, BDOs and Executive Magistrates are hereby authorized to take all necessary measures for enforcement and implementation of the aforesaid instructions. All local police authorities shall extend necessary assistance as and when requisitioned by the aforesaid officers.
9. Any person found violating these instructions shall be deemed to have committed an offence punishable under section 188 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860)
10. The other instructions issued earlier will continue to be in force.
11. In case of doubt, the state Government will issue necessary directions/clarifications.
By Order of the Governor
Sd/- Chief Secretary
Government of West Bengal
Complete Safety Restrictions
22 March 2020
List of Areas Covered
- Coochbehar – District Town
- Alipurduar – District Town, Jaigaon Town
- Jalpaiguri – District Town
- Kalimpong – District Town
- Darjeeling – Darjeeling, Kurseong and Siliguri towns
- Uttar Dinajpur – Whole District
- Daskhin Dinajpur – District Town
- Malda-Whole District
- Murshidabad-Whole District
- Nadia-Whole District
- Birbhum – All municipal towns
- Paschim Burdwan-Whole District
- Purbo Burdwan- District Town, Kalna Town, Katwa Town
- Purulia- District Town
- Bankura- District Town, Barjora Town, Bishnupur Town
- Paschim Midnapur – District Town, Kharagpur Town, Ghatal Town
- Jhargram- District Town
- Purbo Midnapur – District Town, Haldia Town, Digha Town, Kolaghat Town and Contai Town
- Howrah-Whole District
- Hooghly- District Town, Chandannagore Town, Konnagar Town, Arambagh Town, Serampore Town, Uttarpara Town
- South 24 Parganas -Diamond Harbour, Canning, Sonarpur, Baruipur Bhangore, Budge Budge, Mahestala
- North 24 Parganas- All municipal towns including Salt Lake, New Town
- Kolkata – entire KMC area