National Trust Schemes
Published in Knowledge Base.
(Group Home And Rehabilitation Activities Under National Trust Act for Disabled Adults) A Life Long Shelter & Care Scheme
The National Trust was setup in the context of parents’ worries that what will happen to their children with special needs when they are no more. In order to provide a sustainable solution to this rather difficult problem, GHARAUNDA – a scheme of Lifelong Shelter & Care is conceived with the following objectives:
- To provide an assured minimum quality of care services throughout the life of the persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation & Multiple Disabilities
- To encourage assisted living with independence and dignity
- To facilitate establishment of requisite infrastructure for the assured care system throughout the country
- To provide the care services at an affordable price on a sustainable basis
- Any adult person with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities will be eligible to avail the benefits of the Scheme.
- The scheme will be available to eligible persons only on payment of requisite amount as determined under the Scheme from time to time.
(Day Care Centre) Scheme
The aim of the scheme is to work with children 0-6 years with developmental disabilities, to make them ready for mainstream and special schools. This is an early intervention programme. The objectives of this scheme are:
Activities under the scheme
- Awareness generation amongst parents of persons with disabilities, its family members & related Govt. Officials/ Teachers.
- Assessment & evaluation of children with disabilities.
- Motivation & counselling to parents & families.
- Training for daily living activities.
- Pre school skills – (pre-reading, pre-maths etc.)
- Therapeutic services which includes physiotherapy/ occupational therapy/ speech/ psychotherapy & psychiatric intervention.
- Audio logical assessment & suitable referral.
- Music drama/ play therapy/ pre-vocational training.
- Facilitation in getting admission into special school and inclusive school.
- Respite care services (for parents).
- Social & family integration.
3. GYAN PRABHA
A Scholarship Scheme for Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities.
To encourage people with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities for pursuing post schooling any vocational training/ professional courses for enhancement of their skills.
- Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities are eligible for the scholarship
- For pursuing post schooling any professional course or vocational training and other creative activities from recognized institutions for self employment/ employment.
- Scholarship will be awarded for pursuing only one course.
- Continuation/ renewal of the scholarship for next year will depend on successful performance in course in the preceding year with minimum 50% marks
- Monthly family income of the beneficiary should not be more than Rs. 15,000/ – from all sources. Family income includes income of the parent/guardian.
Amount of Scholarship
Scholarship amount shall be up to Rs. 700/- pm per person for 1000 persons every year.
A Health Insurance Scheme For the welfare of persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities
In order to enable and empower persons with disability to live as independently and as fully as possible, health services and their access to persons with disabilities assume a very significant role. In this context, the health insurance facility becomes important but presently such products are not easily available for persons with disabilities. In such a situation, a health insurance scheme “Niramaya” is conceived with the following objectives
- To provide affordable Health Insurance to persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation & Multiple Disabilities
- To encourage health services seeking behaviour among persons with disability
- To improve the general health condition & quality of life of persons with disability
The scheme envisages to deliver ‘Community based’ cover which will
- Have a single premium across age band
- Provide same coverage irrespective of the type of disability
- Insurance cover upto 1.0 lakh Rs. and
- All persons with disabilities will be eligible and included and there will be no ‘selection’
The scheme further envisages that there shall be
- No exclusion of Pre-existing condition
- Same cover as that for other persons
- Services ranging from regular Medical Chekup to Hospitalization, Therapy to Corrective Surgery, Transportation
- Conditions requiring repetitive medical intervention as an in-patient
- Pre & Post hospitalization expenses, subject to limits
- No pre-insurance medical tests
- Cashless settlements only
- Smart/ Biometric cards with not only health data but also provision for other (Micro) financial data
Samarth is a “Centre Based Scheme (CBS)” for Residential Services, both Short Term (Respite Care) and Long Term (Prolonged Stay), effective from the financial year 2005-06.
- To provide permanent care for abandoned and destitute persons with disabilities.
- To provide support and protection to persons whose family support is gradually diminishing.
- To provide services to persons with disability whose family members are willing to pay for good quality services.
- To provide services to young persons with disability who need to stay in group homes and independent living situations.
- To provide services to senior citizens with disability.
- To create opportunities for family members to get respite time in order to fulfill other responsibilities.
- To support Registered Organizations and Local Level Committees in the development of a range of service delivery systems which respond more closely to the needs of disabled persons in their own communities including the needs of those without family support.
- To provide rehabilitation & relief to persons with disability whose families are unable or unwilling to support them any longer.
- Organizations/associations must be registered with the National Trust in addition to being registered under the Societies Registration Act. (or similar ones)
- Be a legally constituted body.
- Not be running for profit to any individual or body of individuals.
- Be functioning as close to the community sought to be served as is possible.
Types of Services
This Scheme provides for Residential facilities. In addition, activities must include early intervention, special education or integrated school, open school, pre-vocational and vocational training, employment oriented training, recreation, sports etc.
6. UDDYAM PRABHA
An Incentive Scheme to Promote Economic Activities for Self-Employment of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities
Promoting income generating economic activities for self-employment of persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities through incentives.
Incentive will be provided for availing loan for any income generating economic activity.
- Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities
- Age 18 years or above
- Loan for income generating activities from recognized financial institutions, banks etc.
- No default in repaying the loan.
Incentive upto 5% for BPL and 3% for other categories will be given per annum upto 5 year on a loan amount upto Rs. 1 lakh. For example, an eligible person below poverty line will get upto 5% of 1 lakh loan amount i.e. Rs. 5000/- pa for 5 years.
The scheme aims to benefit 1000 persons every year.