Qualification for Members of Governing Bodies of Colleges
Published in Higher Education. Tags: Managing Committee.
Government of West Bengal
Department of Higher Education
College Sponsored Branch
Bikash Bhavan, Salt Lake, Kolkata-91
No. 893-Edn(CS)/4C-05/14 Dated, Kolkata, the 21st August, 2014.
From : Shri Kartik Acharya,
Govt. of West Bengal
To : The Director of Public Instruction,
Govt. of West Bengal,
Bikash Bhavan, Salt Lake,
Kolkata – 700 901
Sub: Educational qualification for members of Governing Bodies of the Non-Govt. aided Colleges including erstwhile Sponsored Colleges.
I am directed to say that for some time past Government have been feeling the necessity to prescribe educational qualification for members of Governing Bodies of the Non-Govt. aided Colleges including erstwhile Sponsored Colleges. Presently, Governing Bodies of Non-Govt. aided Colleges generally consist of the following members in accordance with the provision of the Statutes of the respective university:-
1) Nominees of the Undergraduate Council/ Executive Council/ Syndicate of the University;
2) Teachers to be elected amongst themselves by wholetime teachers/ Librarian of the College;
3) State Government’s nominee(s);
4) Representatives of non-teaching employees of the College, to be elected from among themselves;
5) General Secretary of the Students’ Union/ a duly elected student’s representative;
6) Donors to be nominated by the Vice chancellor where applicable;
7) Ex-officio Members, viz, local Councilor/ Chairman of Municipality/ Sabhapati of Panchayat Samiti having jurisdiction over the respective College and not being a teacher/ non-teaching employee/ student of the College.
After careful consideration of the entire matter and keeping in view the necessity of ensuring a healthy academic atmosphere on the campuses, and for better day to day administration of Non-Govt. aided Colleges (including erstwhile Sponsored Colleges), the Governor is pleased to decide that the members under category (1) and (3) above shall be required to have a minimum educational qualification of being a Graduate degree holder from any recognized University in India or abroad.
I am further directed to request you to inform all concerned.
No. 893-Edn dated 21.08.2014