Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Counselor
Published in Health.
Government of West Bengal
Directorate of Health Services
State Family Welfare Bureau
Swasthya Bhavan: A-wing, 3rd Floor
GN-29, Sector-V, Salt Lake City: Kolkata: 700 091
No. H/SFWB/6A-02-2012/Pt. II/3231(15) Dated: 14th August, 2014
From: Commissioner (Family Welfare) &
Mission Director (NHM),
Health and Family Welfare Department,
Government of West Bengal.
To: 1-14.The Chief Medical Officer of Health
Coochbehar/ Darjeeling/ Uttar Dinajpur/ Dakshin Dinajpur/ Murshidabad/ Nadia/ North 24 Pgs/ South24 Pgs/ Bardhaman/ Purulia/ Bankura/ Howrah/ Birbhum/ Paschim Medinipur &
15. The District Family Welfare Officer, Kolkata.
Sub: Job Description of RMNCH Counselor.
RMNCH Counselor is being placed at the public sector health facilities under the National Health Mission to play a key role in increasing awareness and generating demand for the various RMNCH services provided at the facilities.
It is to be ensured that:-
- Counseling is done in a private quiet place where conversation with the client is not overheard.
- Sufficient time is allowed for communicating necessary information.
- Client’s concerns and needs are discussed and addressed.
The duty hours, place and job description of RMNCH Counselor will be:
- Duty Hours: From 9 AM to 4 PM.
- Place: From 9 AM to 2PM in the PP Unit From 2.30 PM To 4 PM in the labour ward/ PNC Ward.
The service of RMNCH Counselor should not be utilized in any other units of hospital or for any other purpose than that specified below.
- To maintain a register (as per proforma) and record the details of the person counselled along with husband’s /wife’s name, address, phone no.
- To provide Family Planning Messages to the Clients regarding all the applicable Family Planning methods including benefits and adverse effects.
- To promote IUCD and PPIUCD (wherever applicable) amongst beneficiaries.
- To facilitate information about MTP services in unwanted pregnancy, consent for the service and Family Planning options after the service.
- In case of failure of Family Planning methods, necessary assistance to the clients to be ensured.
- To provide information to the woman and her family about the essential maternal (e.g. Tetanus toxoid immunization, Ante-natal Care, etc), new-born and family planning care and services that are available and is to be availed before, during and after child birth.
- To educate mothers and families on early initiation of breastfeeding, i.e. within 1 hour of giving birth, exclusive breast feeding, weaning, keeping the newborn warm and cord care.
- To ensure birth dose OPV, BCG, HepB in the institution; inform the client about the immunization schedule and benefits of immunization.
Controlling Officer: MSVP in case of Medical College & Hospital and Superintendent in case of District Hospital.
The counselor must submit a report (proforma enclosed) regarding progress of work, monthly, to the MSVP/ Superintendent of the concerned hospital.
MSVP/ Superintendent is requested to provide the stationery required to the counselors.
Commissioner (FW) & Mission Director (NHM)
No. H/SFWB/3231 dated 14.08.2014, Source