Government of West Bengal
Higher Education Department
College Sponsored Branch
Bikash Bhavan, Salt Lake, Kolkata- 700 091.
No. 892-Edn (CS)/4C-5/2014 Dated 21.08.2014
Whereas the State Government have felt it necessary to review the Statutes of all the State Universities of this State with a view to introducing parity and uniformity in the content of Statutes of all the State Universities;
And Whereas it has been felt necessary to prepare the draft of omnibus Statutes which may be adopted by all the State Universities;
And Whereas it is felt necessary to constitute a Statute Drafting Committee in this regard, which will submit its recommendations alongwith the draft of omnibus Statutes to the State Government in the Higher Education Department within six (6) months from the date of its first meeting;
Now, therefore, the Governor is pleased to order that a Statute Drafting Committee, the composition of which is given below, be constituted in this regard:-
- Prof. Suranjan Das, Vice Chancellor, Calcutta University – Chairman;
- Prof. Subha Sankar Sarkar, Vice Chancellor, Netaji Subhas Open University – Member
- Nominee of the Vice Chancellor, Burdwan University – Member
- Nominee of the Vice Chancellor, Kalyani University – Member
- Nominee of the Vice Chancellor, Vidyasagar University – Member
- Nominee of the Vice Chancellor. North Bengal University – Member
- Director of Public Instruction, or Additional DPI as his nominee – Member
- Sri Jayanta Dliali, Law Officer, Higher Education Department – Member
- Sri Shiladitya Basu Roy, Joint Secretary, Higher Education Department – Member & Convenor
The terms of reference of the Committee are:-
- To identify deficiencies, difficulties and shortcomings in the present Statutes of the State Universities and recommend solutions to address / remove them;
- To draft omnibus Statutes with a view to introducing parity and uniformity in the contents of Statutes of all the State Universities and to cover interalia maintenance of academic standards, election of members of various authorities of universities and colleges, affiliation or recognition and disaffiliation or withdrawal of colleges or institutions, leave rules and conduct and disciplinary rules for employees of universities and colleges, composition /constitution of governing bodies of the affiliated colleges, terms and conditions of recruitment / appointment of teachers, officers and non-teaching staff of universities as well as Principals, teachers and nonteaching staff of colleges, Provident fund rules for the employees of universities and that of affiliated colleges, terms and conditions of post retirement employment for teachers of universities, establishment matters, etc.;
- To shortlist issues which may require amendment in the Acts of different universities and suggest solutions to the Department of Higher Education.
The Calcutta University shall provide secretarial and logistics assistance and support to the Committee. The members may utilize transport facilities / draw travelling allowance from their respective establishments.
This order shall take immediate effect.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- Vivek Kumar