GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
West Bengal Act XI of 1998
THE WEST BENGAL LEGISLATURE (MEMBERS’ PENSION) (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1998.
[18th February, 1999.]
An Act to amend the West Bengal Legislature (Members’ Pension) Act, 1986.
Whereas it is expedient to amend the West Bengal Legislature (Members’ Pension) Act, 1986, for the purposes and in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted in the Forty-ninth Year of the Republic of India, by the Legislature of West Bengal, as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement:
(1) This Act may be called the West Bengal Legislature (Members’ Pension) (Amendment) Act, 1998.
(2) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 1st day of December, 1998.
2. Amendment of section 3 of West Ben. Act XVIII of 1986:
In section 3 of the West Bengal Legislature (Members’ Pension) Act, 1986 (hereinafter referred to as the principal Act),-
(1) in sub-section (1),-
(a) for the words “seven hundred and fifty rupees”, the words “one thousand rupees” shall be substituted;
(b) in the proviso,-
(i) for the words “fifty rupees”, the words “one hundred rupees” shall be substituted, and
(ii) for the words “one thousand rupees”, the words “two thousand rupees” shall be substituted;
(2) for sub-section (3), the following sub-section shall be substituted:-
“(3) Any person, including a freedom-fighter, entitled to any pension from the Central Government or any State Government, or any corporation owned or controlled by the Central Government, or any State Government, or any local authority, under any law or otherwise, shall also be entitled to pension under sub-section (1) or sub-section (1A), as the case may be.”;
(3) sub-section (4) shall be omitted;
(4) in sub-section (7), after the words “the spouse of such person shall”, the words whether or not such spouse draws any pension from any other source,” shall be inserted.
3. Amendment of section 3A:
In section 3 A of the principal Act, for the words “his spouse”, the words “the spouse of such person” shall be substituted.