West Bengal Public Libraries Act, 1979
Mass Education Extension and Library Services. Library.
West Bengal Act XXXIX of 1979
THE WEST BENGAL PUBLIC LIBRARIES ACT, 1979.
[7th January, 1980]
West Ben. Act VIII of 1982.
West Ben. Act XXIV of 1985.
West Ben. Act XIII of 1993.
West Ben. Act XL1 of 1994.
West Ben. Act VII of 1998.
An Act to provide for the establishment of public libraries in the State of West Bengal and to regulate, guide [control and supervise the libraries] as also to provide for a comprehensive rural and urban [library and information service] in the State of West Bengal.
1. Short title, extent and commencement,
The State Library Council
3. State Library Council and its functions.
4. Composition of the Council.
5. Functions of public library.
6. Appointment and functions of Director.
7. Directorate of Library Services.
Local Library Authorities
8. Constitution of Local Library Authorities.
9. Local Library Authority shall be a body corporate.
10. Power of a Local Library Authority.
10A. Control and supersession of Local Library Authority.
11. Vesting of properties in Local Library Authority.
12. Regulations by Local Library Authorities.
13. Power to Government to cancel or modify regulations.
14. Committee or Committees of Local Library Authority.
15. Preparation of scheme.
15A. Power to give direction to the Local Library Authority.
16. District Library Officer.
16A. Sponsored public library.
16B. Dissolution of Local Library Authority for former district or any committee appointed by it upon creation of more than one district by dividing former district.
Finance and Accounts
17. Library Fund.
17A. Government grant.
17B. Power to Local Library Authority or library to incur expenditure.
18. Accounts and Audit.
19. Validation of acts.
20. Reports and returns.
21. Inspection of public libraries.
23. Power to make rules.
24. Amendment to the Press and Registration of Books Act, 1867.