Public Service Commission, West Bengal
The following provisions have been made in Constitution of India for securing independence of members of the Commission from influence of the executive:
- Chairman and members of PSC are appointed by President of India/ Governor of the State as the case may be.
- They cannot be removed from his post by President/ Governor as the case may be arbitrarity.
- They can be removed from their posts by President/ Governor on the basis of report of the Supreme Court in the following grounds:
- Engages in any paid employment outside the duties of his office
- Unfit to continue an office by reason of infirmity of mind and body is in the opinion of the President/ Governor as the case may be
- Ground of misbehavior
- Expenses of PSC including salaries etc. are met out of charged head of Consolidated Fund.
- No change in conditions of service of Chairman and Members of PSC.
- Chairman or Members of PSC are not eligible for employment either under Govt. of India or State Govt. excepting the commissions themselves as per provision Art. No. 319.
- Obligatory to consult PSC on certain matters by President/ Governor.
- If any where the advice of PSC was not accepted by the Govt. the reasons of such non-acceptance to be laid before each House of Parliament/ State Legislative by the Govt. as the case may be.
- Constitution has provided for the independence discharge of their duties without fear and favour.