Government of West Bengal
12, R.N. Mukherjee Road, Kolkata – 700 001
No. 1210-WT/3M-75/2013 Date: 18.03.2016.
WHEREAS, Rule 118 of Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 has since been amended and under sub-rule 2 of the said rule the State Government has been directed to specify categories of transport vehicles registered prior to 01.10.2015 to be fitted with speed governor;
AND, WHEREAS, the matter has been deliberated upon in the Hon’ble Supreme Court also;
AND, WHEREAS, the State Government in the Transport Department has issued Notification No. 2-WT/3M-75/2013 dated 04.01.2016 to make a classification of Stage Carriages etc. under pre-set speed of 80 k.m. per hour and Dumper, Tanker, School Bus and transport vehicles carrying hazardous items with pre-set speed of 60 k.m. per hour;
AND, WHEREAS, in a meeting held with the stakeholders on 03.03.2016 it has been viewed that compatibility and fitting of speed governors with certain models of old vehicles may be technically examined and accordingly it has been proposed to examine the matter by a committee including technical experts as resolved in para-8 of the minutes of the said meeting issued under No. 1117-WT/3M-75/2013 dated 14.03.2016;
NOW, THEREFORE, a Technical Committee is hereby constituted with the scope of work as noted below with following members:
- Shri B. Dasgupta, Special Secretary, Transport Deptt, GOWB – Chairperson
- Chief Mechanical Engineer, Calcutta State Transport Corporation – Member
- Assistant Director (Technical), Public Vehicles Deptt, Kolkata – Member-Convenor
- Law Officer, Transport Deptt., GOWB – Member
- Shri K. K. Gandhi, Executive Director Technical, Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) – Member
- General Secretary, Federation of West Bengal Truck Operators’ Association – Member
- General Secretary, Joint Council of Bus Syndicates (West Bengal) – Member
- General Secretary, All Bengal Bus Minibus Samannay Samity – Member.
Scope of Work:
a) To examine technical aspects of commissioning of speed governor, in terms of rule 118(2) of Central Motor Vehicles Rule, in various categories of old vehicles;
b) To explore possibility of fitting of speed governor in the old transport vehicles through the manufacturers;
c) To recommend specifications of speed governor and mode of procurement in terms of the suggestions made by Joint Secretary, MoRTH, Government of India in his letter dated 21.08.2009;
d) To examine any other matter as may be found relevant;
The Committee may take suggestions and observations from the operators who possess considerable volume of fleet and examine them in terms of technical solution to the issue.
The Committee will start functioning immediately and submit its report to the Principal Secretary, Transport Department within 30 days.
By order of the Governor
Sd/- Alapan Bandyopadhyay
Principal Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal