Government of West Bengal
12, R.N. Mukherjee Road, Kolkaia – 700 001
No. 1939(50)-WT/3M-69/2007 (Pt.I) Date. 22.05.2017
From: B. Dasgupta
OSD and ex-officio Special Secretary.
To: 1. The Director, Transport Directorate.
2. The Registering Authority (All).
Subject: Retro-fitment of Speed Limiting Device (SLD) in existing transport vehicles.
I am directed to forward once more the copies of MoRTH guidelines dated 16-6-2016 and its advisory vide No.RT-11017/13/2005-MVL, dated 10-2-2017, and this Department Notification No. 2559-WT/3M-75/2013, dated 29.07.2016 for your perusal. Further, the Supreme Court Committee on Road Safety has issued direction in the matter vide No. F-15/2016/CoRS, dated 11-4-2017, copy of which is enclosed. Obligatory part of the said direction includes the following:
- The Speed Limiting Device (SLD) shall be type approved by the authorised testing agencies as per CMVR.
- The SLD manufacturer or his dealer/agent shall, at the time of fitment of SLD in a vehicle, require to generate a Unique Identification Number for the SLD installed in each vehicle.
- The SLD manufacturer or his dealer/agent shall engrave on the SLD the Registration Number of the vehicle in which it is fitted so that same SLD is not used or fitted in any other vehicle.
- The SLD fitted/installed in a vehicle shall be sealed forthwith.
- The manufacturer or his dealer/agent shall have MIS in place and he shall submit a monthly report to the concerned MV office within first week of the following month.
- The Unique Identification Number of SLD and the manufacturer’s name shall be uploaded along with the particulars of the vehicle in the Vahan database.
I am further directed to state that in case of any doubt the Registering Authorities or the SLD manufacturers or their dealers/agents, as the case may be, will seek clarification and guidance from the below mentioned State-level Committee.
a) Director, Transport Directorate – Chairman
b) Chief Mechanical Engineer, WBTC – Member
c) Assistant Director (Technical), PVD, Kolkata – Member
d) Shri CK Banerjee, Nodal Officer, Transport Department – Member-Convenor.
OSD & E.O. Special Secretary