Government of West Bengal
Department of Higher Education
Bikash Bhavan, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700 091.
No. 197-Edn (T)/10M-74/09 Pt I, Dated, Kolkata, the 17th April, 2012
From: S. Chatterjee, WBCS (Exe.), Joint Secretary to the Govt. of West Bengal.
To: The Director of Technical Education, West Bengal Bikash Bhawan, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700 091.
Sub: Guidelines on admission to Engineering & Technology courses through Lateral Entry Scheme in the academic session of 2012-13.
With reference to the above subject the undersigned is directed to state that on the basis of AICTE norms, the following guidelines are prescribed for admission to various Degree Level Engineering & Technology (including Pharmacy) Courses under the Lateral Entry Scheme.
01. The Lateral Entry Scheme will be applicable for all the disciplines except the courses of Architecture in UG Level Engineering & Technology Programme.
02. Diploma holders in Engineering & Technology (including Pharmacy) Courses and B.Sc. Degree holders shall be eligible for admission to 2nd year Engineering Degree Courses up to a maximum of 20% of sanctioned intake, (except in Marine Engineering) which will be over and above to the approved intake as supernumerary seats.
However, B.Sc. degree holders are not eligible for admission in B.Pharm. Course under this Scheme. Admission in Marine Engineering is subject to availability of vacant seats within the sanctioned intake.
In addition to the 20% supernumerary seats as stated above Vacant Seats(S) in a Course, S = SI – ( SI – C- F + B ), and if S > 0, may also be available to the Diploma holders and B.Sc. Degree holders for the Lateral Entry Scheme where,
SI = Sanctioned Intake
C* = No of cancellation in the first year level
F* = No of students not eligible for admission to second year as per rules/ rules by Affiliating University.
B* = No of students who belong to earlier batches who have become eligible for admission to second year as per rules/rules by Affiliating University.
* Students admitted against any type of supernumerary seat/s shall not be considered in C, F or B.
03. B.Sc. passed students shall be considered only after filling the supernumerary seats in this category with students belonging to Diploma streams.
04. Diploma holder students in Engineering & Technology (including Pharmacy) or B.Sc. passed students from the recognized University as defined by UGC shall be eligible for admission to the 1st year Engineering Degree Courses also subject to vacancies in the 1st year class in case the vacancies at Lateral Entry are exhausted. However, the admission shall be based strictly on the eligibility criteria as mentioned in this regard.
05. Eligibility criteria for admission through the Lateral Entry Scheme:
i. For Diploma holders in Engineering & Technology:
Passed Diploma Examination from an AICTE approved institution; with at least 45% marks (40% in case of reserved category students) in appropriate branch of Engineering/Technology.
ii. For B.Sc. Degree holders:
Passed B.Sc. Degree from a recognized University as defined by UGC with at least 45% marks (40% in case of reserved category students) and passed XII standard with Mathematics as a subject.
Students under this scheme shall clear the subject of Engineering Graphics /Engineering Drawing and Engineering Mechanics of the 1st year Engineering Programme along with the 2nd year subjects.
iii. For Diploma holders in Pharmacy:
Passed Diploma Course in Pharmacy from an AICTE approved institution; with at least 45% marks (40% in case of reserved category students).
06. Admission through Lateral Entry Scheme shall be made strictly on the basis of merit and preference of candidates in the Common Entrance Examination for admission through Lateral Entry Scheme (i.e. JELET) conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board.
07. Engineering and Technology courses including Pharmacy available at Degree Level vis a vis the relevant Diploma Programmes applicable for admission under the Lateral Entry Scheme are given below:-
|Sl. No.||Courses available for admission in U.G. Level of Engineering & Technology Courses||Relevant disciplines of Diploma in Engg. & Technology for admission through Lateral Entry Scheme (Diploma)|
|1||Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering/ Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering./ Instrumentation & Control Engineering.||Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering/ Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering /Instrumentation Technology /Instrumentation Engineering /Instrumentation & Control Engineering/ Medical Electronics.|
|2||Agriculture/ Agricultural Engineering||Agricultural Engineering|
|3||Mechanical Engg. /Automobile Engg.||Mechanical Engineering 1 Automobile Engineering|
|4||Bio-Technology||Bio-Technology/ Medical Lab.Technology|
|5||Bio-Medical Engineering||Bio-Medical Engineering/ Medical Lab. Technology|
|7||Chemical Engineering||Chemical Engineering/Chemicai Technology|
|8||Civil Engineering||Civil Engineering/ Survey Engineering|
|9||Ceramic Technology||Pottery & Ceramic Technology/Ceramic Technology|
|10||Computer Science & Engineering||Computer Science & Engineering/ Computer Science & Technology /Information Technology /Computer Software Technology|
|11||Construction Engineering||Civil Engineering/ Construction Engineering/ Construction Technology|
|12||Electronics & Communication Engg||Electronics &Tele Communication Engineering /Electronics & Communication Engineering/ Medical Electronics|
|13||Electrical Engineering||Electrical Engineering|
|14||Electrical & Electronics Engineering||Electrical Engineering /Electronics Engineering /Electrical & Electronics Engineering|
|15||Food Technology||Food Technology/Food Processing Technology|
|16||Jute Technoiogy/Jute & Fibre Technology||Jute Technology/Jute and Fibre Technology/Textile Technology/Textile Technology (Handloom)/ Fashion Technology|
|17||Leather Technology||Leather Technology/Foot Wear Technology /Leather Goods Technology|
|18||Metallurgical Engineering||Metallurgical Engineering|
|19||Mining Engineering||Mining Engineering/ Mining Survey|
|20||Power Engineering/Power Plant Engineering||Power Plant Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Enqineerinq|
|21||Plastics Technology/ Plastics Mould Technology||Mechanical Engineering/Production Engineering/ Chemical Engineering.|
|22||Mechanical Engineering/ Production Engineering||Mechanical Engineering/ Production Engineering|
|23||Printing Engineering/Printing Technology||Printing Technology/Printing Engineering/Packaging Technology|
|24||Textile Technology/ Apparel Production and Management||Textile Technology (Handloom)/ Fashion Technology/Apparel Production and Management|
|25||Information Technology||Information Technology/Electronics & Communication Engg./Computer Science & Engg|
|26||Marine Engineering||Marine Engineering /Electrical Engineering /Mechanical Engineering.|
08. The Lateral Entry Scheme may be available for all the existing Degree Level Engineering & Technology Colleges of the State under the purview of the Higher Education Department, Govt, of West Bengal including the State Aided Universities/ University Departments.
08. Diploma in Fashion Technology Course of Govt. Polytechnic Institutions, Tripura will also be relevant for admission to Degree Level Apparel Production & Management Course and Textile Technology Course in Govt. College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Serampore and Berhampore under Lateral Entry Scheme in relaxation of the domicile criteria as applicable only for admission to Govt. Engineering & Technology Colleges.
09. All relevant norms and guidelines of D.G. Shipping are to be adhered to for admission to Marine Engineering Degree Course.
10. Diploma holder teachers in Govt. Polytechnic Colleges, West Bengal are eligible for admission in the academic session 2012-13 under Lateral Entry Scheme provided they qualify in JELET.
11. Reservation of seats for SC/ST/PC candidates shall be made as per State Govt, norms for all the Govt. Engineering & Technology Colleges as weil as for Self-financing Engineering & Technology Colleges who have received some grants from the Govt.
12. For admission under Management Quota, seats may be made available up-to a maximum of 10% of the seats available for the Scheme with the provision for 10% full-free studentship and 10% half-free studentship in tandem with the West Bengal Free-ship Scheme.
Students domiciled in the State of West Bengal and with annual family income less than Rs. 2.5 lakh, from all sources, shall only be eligible for this free-ship. The free-ship is in terms of Tuition Fee only.
All concerned are being informed accordingly.
Sd/- S. Chatterjee
No. 197-Edn dated 17.04.2012, Source