Guidelines on Admission through Lateral Entry Scheme, 2013-14
Higher Education. JELET.
Government of West Bengal
Department of Higher Education
Bikash Bhawan, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700 091
No. 394-Edn(T)/10M-74/09 Dated: 08.08.2013
From: Secretary to the Govt. of West Bengal,
Higher Education Department.
To: The Director of Technical Education, West Bengal.
Bikash Bhawan, Salt Lake, Kolkata-700 091.
Sub: Guidelines on admission to Engineering & Technology courses through Lateral Entry Scheme in the academic session of 2013-14.
With a reference to the above subject the undersigned is directed to state that on basis of norms of the AICTE and other regulatory authorities, the following guidelines are prescribed for admission to various Degree Level Engineering & Technology (including Pharmacy) Courses under the Lateral Entry Scheme.
01. The Lateral Entry Scheme will be applicable for all the disciplines except the courses of Architecture in UG Level Engineering & Technology Programmes as per the provisions laid down by the concerned regulatory authority.
02. Diploma holders in Engineering & Technology (including Pharmacy) Courses and B.Sc. Degree holders shall be eligible for admission to 2nd year Engineering Degree Courses up to a maximum of 20% of sanctioned intake (except in Marine Engineering), and this will be over and above the approved intake, i.e. as supernumerary seats. But admission in the second year of Marine Engineering course will only be made against vacant seats carried over from the first year available within the sanctioned intake.
However, B.Sc. degree holders are not eligible for admission in B. Pharm Course under this Scheme.
It may be stated here that as per the AICTE norms, in addition to the above-mentioned 20% supernumerary seats, additional Vacant Seats (S) in a Course through Lateral Entry is defined as: S = SI – (SI – C – F + B) where,
S = Vacant Seats and is > zero
SI = Sanctioned Intake
C* = No. of cancellation in the first year level
F* = No. of students not eligible for admission to second year as per ruies/rules by Affiliating University.
B* = No. of students who belong to earlier batches who have become eligible for admission to second year as per rules/rules by Affiliating University.
* Students admitted against any type of supernumerary seat/s shall not be considered in C, F or B.
These vacant seats are made available for admission in Second Year through Lateral Entry Process in two ways.
i. Twenty percent (20%) Supernumerary Seats against Sanctioned Intake in Second Year will be made available to the candidates through Lateral Entry Counselling conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEEB);
ii. Remaining vacant seats arising out of the formula laid down above, will be made available to the Participating Institutes for admission as per Decentralised Counselling norms, laid down later in this order.
Moreover, the vacant seats in the 1st year of these Engineering, Technology and Pharmacy Courses arising out of Decentralised Counselling already conducted by the Participating Institutes after completion of e-CounseIling-2013, will also be offered to the candidates participating in the Lateral Entry (JELET) Counselling conducted by the WBJEE Board. The candidates may opt for admission in such 1st year vacancy.
03. B.Sc.-passed students shall be considered only after filling the supernumerary seats in this category with students belonging to Diploma streams.
04. Diploma holder students in Engineering & Technology (including Pharmacy) or B.Sc. passed students from a recognized University as defined by UGC shall be eligible for admission to the 1st year Engineering Degree Courses also, subject to vacancies in the 1st year class and in case the vacancies at Lateral Entry are exhausted. However, the admission shall be based strictly on the eligibility criteria as mentioned in this regard.
05. Eligibility criteria for admission through the Lateral Entry Scheme:
i. For Diploma holders in Engineering & Technology:
Passed Diploma Examination from an AICTE approved institution; with at least 45% marks (40% in case of reserved category students) in appropriate branch of Engineering /Technology.
ii. For B.Sc. Degree holders:
Passed B.Sc. Degree from a recognized University as defined by UGC with at least 45% marks (40% in case of reserved category students) and passed XII standard with Mathematics as a subject.
Students under this scheme shall clear the subject of Engineering Graphics /Engineering Drawing and Engineering Mechanics of the 1st year Engineering Programme along with the 2nd year subjects.
iii. For Diploma holders in Pharmacy:
Passed Diploma Course in Pharmacy from an AICTE approved institution, with at least 45% marks (40% in case of reserved category students).
06. Admission through Lateral Entry Scheme shall be made strictly on the basis of merit and preference of candidates in the Common Entrance Examination for admission through Lateral Entry Scheme (i.e. JELET) conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board.
07. Engineering and Technology Courses including Pharmacy available at Degree Level vis-a-vis the relevant Diploma Programmes applicable for admission under the Lateral Entry Scheme are given below:-
|SL. NO.||COURSES AVAILABLE FOR ADMISSION IN U.G. LEVEL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY COURSES||RELEVANT DISCIPLINES OF DIPLOMA IN ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY FOR ADMISSION THROUGH LATERAL ENTRY SCHEME|
|1||Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering/ Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering /Instrumentation & Consol Engineering||Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering/ Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering /Instrumentation Technology /Instrumentation Engineering/ Instrumentation & Control Engineering/Medical Electronics|
|2||Agriculture/ Agricultural Engineering||Agricultural Engineering|
|3||Mechanical Engineering/ Automobile Engineering||Mechanical Engineering/ Automobile Engineering|
|4||Bio-Technology||Bio-Technology/ Medical Lab Technology|
|5||Bio-Medical Engineering||Bio-Medical Engineering/ Medical Lab Technology|
|7||Chemical Engineering||Chemical Engineering/Chemical Technology|
|8||Civil Engineering||Civil Engineering/ Survey Engineering|
|9||Ceramic Technology||Pottery & Ceramic Technology/ Ceramic Technology|
|10||Computer Science & Engineering||Computer Science & Engineering/ Computer Science & Technology/ Information Technology/ Computer Software Technology|
|11||Construction Engineering||Civil Engineering /Construction Engineering/ Construction Technology|
|12||Electronics & Communication Engineering||Electronics & Tele Communication Engineering/ Electronics & Communication Engineering/ Electronics & Communication Engineering/ Medical Electronics|
|13||Electrical Engineering||Electrical Engineering|
|14||Electrical & Electronics Engineering||Electrical & Electronics Engineering/ Electrical Engineering/ Electronics Engineering|
|15||Food Technology||Food Technology/ Food Processing Technology|
|16||Jute Technology/ Jute &-Fibre Technology||Jute Technology/ Jute and Fibre Technology/ Textile Technology (Handloom)/ Fashion Technology|
|17||Leather Technology||Leather Technology/ Foot Wear Technology/ Leather Goods Technology|
|18||Metallurgical Engineering||Metallurgical Engineering|
|19||Mining Engineering||Mining Engineering/ Mining Survey|
|20||Power Engineering/ Power Plant Engineering||Power Plant Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering|
|21||Mechanical Engineering/ Production Engineering/ Chemical Engineering||Plastics Technology/ Plastics Mould Technology|
|22||Mechanical Engineering/ Production Engineering||Mechanical Engineering/ Production Engineering|
|23||Printing Engineering/ Printing Technology||Printing Engineering/ Printing Technology/ Packaging Technology|
|24||Textile Technology/ Apparel Production and Management||Textile Technology (Handloom)/ Fashion Technology/ Apparel Production and Management|
|25||Information Technology||Information Technology/ Electronics & Communication Engineering/ Computer Science & Engineering|
|26||Marine Engineering||Marine Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering|
08. The Lateral Entry Scheme may be available for all the existing Degree Level Engineering & Technology Colleges of the State under the purview of the Higher Education Department, Govt. of West Bengal including the State Aided Universities/ University Departments. Furthermore, Jadavpur University and BESU, Shibpur may invoke some pre-requisite conditions as per their regulations in connection with admission through Lateral Entry. The WBJEE Beard will inform the desirous candidates about the same.
09. Diploma in Fashion Technology Course of Govt. Polytechnic Institutions, Tripura will also be permitted for admission to Degree Level Apparel Production & Management Course and Textile Technology Course in Govt. College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Serampore and Berhamapore under Lateral Entry Scheme in relaxation of the domicile criteria as applicable only for admission to Govt. Engineering & Technology Colleges,
10. All relevant norms and guidelines of DG Shipping are to be adhered to by the WBJEE Board for admission into Marine Engineering Degree Course through Lateral Entry.
11. Diploma holder teachers in Govt. Polytechnic Colleges, West Bengal are eligible for admission in the academic session 2013-14 under the Lateral Entry Scheme provided they qualify in JELET and procure requisite permission from respective controlling authorities.
12. Reservation cf seats for SC/ST/PC candidates shall be made as per State Govt. norms for all the Govt. Engineering & Technology Colleges as well as for Self-financing Engineering & Technology Colleges who have received some grants from the Government.
13. The Director of Technical Education, West Bengal is required to prepare the Seat Matrix in such a manner that the Board will conduct the Lateral Entry Counselling with two separate sets of seats. Firstly, the Seat Matrix containing twenty percent (20%) supernumerary seats in the second year will be prepared. Next, the vacant seats of lst year in 2013-14 academic session, arising out of admission made through completion of Decentralized Counselling by the Participating Institutes (provided that they are willing for such admission) will be prepared. Both these Seat Matrices will be handed over to the Board. For this, all Participating Institutes are required to submit their Institute-specific Discipline-wise Seat Matrices to the DTE, WB positively by 16th August, 2013 failing which the Seat Matrices as available with the DTE, WB, will be collated and handed over to the Board for conduct of Counselling.
14. Participating candidates in the JELET Counselling 2013 will be offered both vacancies under the above matrices in the following order;
a. Vacancy in the 2nd Year of Engineering/ Pharmacy Courses;
b. Vacancy in the 1st Year of Engineering/ Pharmacy Courses.
15. For admission under Management Quota, seats may be made available up to a maximum of 10% of the seats earmarked for Lateral Entry into Second Year of different courses provided the candidates so admitted fulfil all requisite eligibility norms.
16. Decentralized Counselling under Lateral Entry:
In the event of seats remaining vacant in the 2nd year Degree Level of different Engineering, Technology and Pharmacy Colleges after completion of JELET counselling by the WBJEE Board in the academic year 2013-2014, Decentralised Counselling for said vacant seats will be allowed to be conducted by the Participating Institutes as per guidelines laid down below. The candidates will be offered the said vacant seats in the following order of preference:-
a) Candidates with JELET 2013 rank who fulfil all other eligibility norms as stipulated.
b) Engineering Diploma Holder Candidates who fulfil all other eligibility norms as stipulated.
c) B.Sc. Degree Holder Candidates fulfilling eligibility norms as stipulated.
The vacant seats to be filled up by the participating institutes under decentralized counselling will be based on the vacancy statement generated by the WBJEEB against the seat matrix prepared by the Directorate of Technical Education, West Bengal for every participating institute after the completion of counselling process and published on the website of the Board.
The participating institutes shall post notice on their notice boards and websites inviting applications from intending candidates for the said decentralized counselling and admit students on inter-se-merit as stipulated above in this guideline.
Further, it has been decided that the participating institutes under the decentralized counselling process shall ensure that every candidate applying for taking admission in such vacant seats shall submit an undertaking stating that his/her candidature shall be cancelled if it is found that he/she has already taken admission at the institute allotted by the WBJEE Board through the counselling process for Lateral Entry- 2013.
17. The cut-off date for completion of decentralized counselling at the respective participating institute level will have to be completed keeping in mind the timelines in the academic calendar of WBUT for the academic year 2013-2014.
18. The West Bengal Free-ship Scheme (WBFS) as contained in the Higher Education Department Order no. 326-Edn(T) dated 14.06.2013 shall be applicable.
Sd/- Vivek Kumar
Higher Education Department,
Govt. of West Bengal
No. 394-Edn dated 08.08.2013