Creation of Centre for Fiscal Policy and Public Finance under WBPFMRP
Finance, Finance Act, Finance Rules, PFM
Government of West Bengal
No- 110-F.B. Date: 27.4.2023
As part of implementation of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) supported “West Bengal Public Finance Management Reforms Program” (WBPFMRP), Government of West Bengal has created a “Centre for Fiscal Policy and Public Finance, West Bengal (CFPPF-WB)” to train officers of Government of West Bengal and parastatals in various aspects of Public Financial Management (PFM).
The CFPPF-WB (“the Centre”) will undertake extensive research in public finance, tax and welfare policy, social sector interventions, productivity and innovation, consumer behaviour and related topics and evaluation of macro-fiscal policies to promote capacity building in the State of West Bengal.
To take the initiative further and strengthen CFPPF-WB, the Government of West Bengal has approved formation of a Governing Council of the CFPPF-WB as approved by the State Cabinet and as per Memorandum issued by Finance Department under No. 790-F(H) dated 23.2.2021.
The Governing Council for CFPPF-WB will be formed with the following Members:
- Chief Secretary, West Bengal – Chairman
- Additional Chief Secretary, Finance Department – Member
- Director General – Netaji Subhas Administrative Training Institute, Kolkata -Member
- Additional Chief Secretary, Planning Statistics and Programme Monitoring Department – Member
- Additional Chief Secretary, Personnel & Administrative Reforms Department -Member
- Secretary/ Senior Special Secretary/ Special Secretary – Budget Branch, Finance Department – Member
- Commissioner, Commercial Taxes, West Bengal -Member
- Excise Commissioner, West Bengal – Member
- Inspector General, Registration, West Bengal – Member
- Prof. Abhirup Sarkar, Professor (Retd) of Economics, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata & Chairman, West Bengal Infrastructure Development Corporation -Member
- Director, Centre for Fiscal Policy and Public Finance, West Bengal – Member Secretary
The Governing Council will be empowered to take decisions on the following:
- To take decision on all administrative matters including appointment of suitable Officers/ Faculty on contract/ consultancy against the sanctioned posts
- Approval of development/ expansion plans of the Centre
- Constitution of Sub-committees, Expert panels, study groups for the purposes related to training and research on Public Financial Management & related topics
- Management of physical infrastructure and such other facilities provided by the Centre
- Permitting the Centre to enter into collaboration with the Universities, Institutes of Social Sciences, Research and other autonomous organizations and International organizations such as International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank and Asian Development Bank (ADB) in the matters relating to fulfilling of objectives for which the Centre has been set up.
- To approve Annual Training Programme, training curriculum, training materials, etc of the Centre.
- To approve proposals as may be expedient or incidental to carry out the objectives of the Centre.
- To co-opt external individual/ stakeholders as Members of the Governing Council to strengthen the Centre.
Sd/- Dr. Manoj Pant
Additional Chief Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal
No. 110-FB dated 27.04.2023, Source