Procedures on Private Foriegn Visits of Government Employees
Government of West Bengal
Personnel & Administrative Reforms Department
Kolkata – 700 001
No. 42-PAR(Trg)/HR/O/3T-11/2011 Dated: 02.02.2011
Subject: Procedure to be followed in connection with private foreign visits of employees of State Government, Semi or Quasi-Government organization including employees of Statutory bodies, Undertakings, Corporations, Companies, Cooperative and Institutions etc.
The procedure for permitting Government servants to visit foreign countries in private capacity has been liberalized by Government of India and now the leave sanctioning authority grants the permission to the official concerned for private visits abroad.
In view of sharp increase in number of Government servants visiting foreign countries in private capacity, a need has been felt to liberalize the existing instructions of State Government in this regard.
Accordingly, in partial modification of the Order No. 466-PAR (Trg) HT/O/3T-112/97 dated July 18, 2003, following procedure would be adopted in case of private visits of Government servants to foreign countries:
(1) All categories of employees may be permitted to visit abroad in their private capacity, with the prior clearance of the authority competent to sanction their leave.
(2) The application shall be made to the competent authority in the attached proforma (Annexure – I) at least fifteen days before the commencement of such visit.
(3) The permission shall be granted by the leave sanctioning authority with a copy to the cadre controlling authority within seven days of receipt of such application. A standard format of permission is enclosed herewith (Annexure – II).
(4) In partial modification of Order No. 974-PAR(Vig.) dated Calcutta, July 25, 2000 of Home (P&AR) Department, Vigilance Clearance shall not be required for according permission to travel abroad in private capacity.
(5) For the purpose of clarification, private visit would mean the visits in which the entire expenditure is being borne by the officer concerned or his family members. The term ‘family’ means wife or husband, as the case may be, sons and daughters including adopted sons/daughters, mother and father.
Visits involving any kind of domestic/ foreign sponsorship or acceptance of foreign hospitality on boarding, lodging or any other component of the visit shall continue to be governed by the earlier order.
Sd/- Samar Ghosh
Chief Secretary, Government of West Bengal
Checklist for official visits:
- Whether it has been ascertained that the visit is official and who is bearing the expenses
- Whether a composite proposal in respect of all officers so nominated for the same event is being sent
- Whether the proforma for foreign visit is being submitted duly filled
- Whether there is any vigilance case or disciplinary proceeding, (pending or under contemplation) against the officer(s); (in case of IAS/ WBCS (Executive) officers vigilance clearance would be obtained from this Department)
- Whether the officer has been abroad earlier during the course of last three years and details thereof are being submitted
- Whether the approval of the Minister In-Charge or Minister of State of the Department, as the case may be, has been obtained; (in case Chief Minister is the Minister in charge, her/his approval not required at this stage)
- Outcome to be achieved by the proposed visit has been clearly specified
- Justification why the number of delegates nominated for the same event cannot be reduced has been given
- Why the purpose cannot be served by utilising the services of Indian Mission abroad, of another officer already abroad or any other officer being sent abroad has been explained.
- Whether there is any direct/ indirect financial involvement of the State Government
Checklist for Private visits:
A. If the employee or his family members are sponsoring the visit, it has been processed as per the Memo No. 42-PAR(Trg)/HR/O/3T-11/2011 dated 2nd Feb, 2011.
B. In cases where someone else is sponsoring the visit:
- Nature and duration of leave sanctioned for the visit
- If the proposal has approval of the Departmental Minister in charge.
- No expenditure devolves on the Central or State Government;
- No vigilance case/ disciplinary proceeding is either pending or under contemplation against them [in case of IAS / WBCS (Executive) officers vigilance clearance would be obtained from this Department];
- If any domestic/foreign hospitality or funding is being accepted on any component of the visit like travel, boarding etc, an intimation has been given to the cadre controlling authority;
No. 42-PAR dated 02.02.2011
PAR, Foreign Tour, Passport