Guidelines for Taking over Roads belonging to Other Department by PWDOctober 11, 2022
Government of West Bengal
Public Works Department
Nabanna, Howrah – 711102
No. 330-W(C)/1M-189/15 Dated: 02.05.2017
Sub: Revised Procedure/ Guidelines for taking over of the roads belonging to other Department of the State Government by Public Works Department.
It is being observed that lot of proposals are received for handing over of the roads constructed and/ or maintained by the other Department of the State Government to Public Works Department.
There is a memorandum vide No. 455-W(C)/1M-189/15 dated 16.09.2015 for taking over of the roads belonging to other Department of the State Government by Public Works Department. But, it is being observed that some difficulties arise in respect of taking over of the roads as per memorandum no. 455-W(C)/1M-189/15 dated 16.09.2015.
After careful consideration of the entire matter, the Governor is pleased to frame a revised guideline/ procedure to be followed for transfer of a road to Public Works Department from other Department of the State Government in supersession of memorandum no. 455-W(C)/1M-189/15 dated 16.09.2015.
1. Proposal for transfer of the road should to be submitted to the Principal Secretary, PWD, with the following documents and certificate by the appropriate authority of the department/ local body/ municipal corporation etc., from which the road is proposed to be transferred through the Collector of the respective district:
a) Mouza map showing proposed road to be transferred;
b) A plan showing ROW of proposed road to be transferred, duly authenticated by the concerned authority/ LA Collector of the district.
c) Road inventory showing total length, crest & crust width of road, location of bridges, culverts, waterways and any structures/ trees etc., within ROW of the proposed road;
d) Certified that proposed road alignment is solely under the possession of this Department and free from all type of encumbrances legally and physically.
2. The concerned Superintending Engineer, P.W. or P.W. (Roads) Directorate, will examine the proposal and submit a report along with feasibility of transfer of the road to the Department.
3. PWD will issue necessary order for taking over the road, if found suitable.
4. PWD will take over the road after issuance of necessary work order for execution of work. Until issuance of such work order present authorities (i.e. other department) will maintain their road by routine maintenance work.
5. The Superintending Engineer, State Highway Planning Circle, P.W. (Roads) Directorate for South and West Zone and Superintending Engineer, Design & Planning Circle, P.W. (Roads) Directorate for North Zone will move to the District Magistrate for transfer of record of right in favour of PWD.
All concerned are being informed.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- INDEVAR PANDEY
Public Works Department
No. 330-WC dated 02.05.2017, Source