Government of West Bengal
Higher Education Department
Bikash Bhavan, Salt Lake, Kolkata- 700 091
No. 110-Edn(T)/10M-26/09 (Pt III) Dated: 07.03.2014
Whereas a proposal was received from the Management of five (5) Minority Private Self-Financing Professional Academic Institutes stating that, as a group, they want to conduct a separate Common Entrance Examination for both minority and non-minority candidates for admission to 50% of their approved seats in Engineering and Pharmaceutical courses in the following five Minority Academic Institutes for the academic session 2014-15, comprising the following:
- JIS College of Engineering, Kalyani, Nadia.
- Narula Institute of Technology, Agarpara, North 24 Parganas.
- Gurunanak Institute of Technology, Sodepur, North 24 Parganas.
- Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Technology, Panihati, North 24 Parganas.
- St. Mary’s Technical Campus, Kolkata, Saibana, North 24 Parganas
Whereas the Higher Education Department Government of West Bengal provisionally found the said proposal as acceptable in principle subject to further examination of all necessary details to ensure merit basis, transparency and fairness in the said examination and. admission process.
Whereas on receipt of the said proposal and after finding, prima facie, its acceptability in principle, the Higher Education Department Government of West Bengal has constituted a State Level Academic Advisory Committee with Hon’ble Justice (Retired) Pradipta Roy as its Chairman vide Govt. Order No. 49 Edn(T) dated, 03.02.2014, for the purpose of examining the details of the proposal, overseeing and monitoring conduct of such separate Common Entrance Examination and the admission process through the proposed Common Entrance Examination;
Whereas the above – named five Minority Academic Institutes have formed a Group called Association of Minority Professional Academic Institutes (AMPAI) for looking after their common interest and the said Association has intimated that it intends to hold such separate Common Entrance Examination;
Whereas the said Association (AMPAI) submitted to the State Government a seat sharing proposal for the limited purpose of admission to the said Minority Institutes and sought for permission to hold separate Common Entrance Examination for admission to 50% of the approved seats for the academic session 2014-15;
Whereas according to the seat-sharing proposal submitted by the said Association itself the said separate Common Entrance Examination will be held for both minority and non-minority students for admission to 50% of approved seats in Engineering and Pharmaceutical Science Courses in the said five Institutes, the remaining 50% of approved seats would be filled up through the State Joint Entrance Examination and that if any seat meant for admission by the Association remains unfilled or vacant, such seat/seats would be surrendered to the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board for admission through the existing system of the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board.
Whereas the aforesaid Association submitted a detailed procedure in writing and gave a presentation before the Academic Advisory Committee on the methodology, steps, safeguards, and features of the proposed Common Entrance Examination and counselling;
Whereas during presentation, the Members of the Academic Advisory Committee gave several suggestions for improvement and suggested suitable modifications in the proposed system;
Whereas the Association has accepted those suggestions and submitted a revised system incorporating the changes suggested by the Academic Advisory Committee;
Now, therefore, the said Association is hereby permitted to conduct the proposed separate Common Entrance Examination for the academic session 2014-15 for admission to 50% of the approved seats in Engineering and Pharmaceutical courses in those five Minority Professional Academic Institutes subject to the terms and conditions as contained here-in and the guidelines and/or directions that may be issued by the State Level Academic Advisory Committee from time to lime.
The Association (AMPAI) is hereby asked to take necessary steps for the conduct of the separate Common Entrance Examination so as to complete the entire procedure of admission positively before the commencement of the State – level Centralized on-line counseling and admission system conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board for the academic session 2014-15.
The terms and conditions as well as necessary guidelines are given below:
1. That the name of the said common entrance examination shall be the Common Entrance Examination conducted by the Association of Minority Professional Academic Institutions – 2014, and may be termed as ‘CEE-AMPAI-2014’
2. The Association shall nominate a suitable person/persons to act as the Convener/ Conveners of the said separate Common Entrance Examination, who will be responsible for reporting to the State Level Academic Advisory Committee regarding conduct of the said examination as well as other post – examination matters in all respects.
3. The Association may engage an outside agency of repute, with sound credentials and credibility in conducting such common entrance examinations so as to ensure fairness and transparency in the conduct of the said examination.
4. That the Convener of the ‘CEE-AMPAI-2014‘ shall arrange for necessary Notification in at-least two leading newspapers inviting candidates to submit their application for the examination. The Notification must mention the purpose and nature of the examination, availability of seats, schedule of dates, details of the syllabus, marking and ranking methodology along with other details so as to ensure all relevant information is in the public domain
5. The Association shall have a specific website address for conduct of the proposed examination, particulars of which shall be communicated to the Academic Advisory Committee and. widely publicized for the guidance of the applicants.
6. The Association shall have a specific Bank Account for dealing with financial matters pertaining to the admission of students through the CEE-AMPAI-2014. The particulars of such Bank Account shall be communicated to the Academic Advisory Committee.
7. That the Convener(s) of the ‘CEE-AMPAI-2014’ shall take prior approval on different issues, pertaining to the conduct of such separate entrance examination, as given below:-
(i) The details of Centres along-with State – wise location to be used as venue for the CEE-AMPAI-2014.
(ii) Date and time of examinations along with security arrangement and monitoring system to be followed during examinations.
(iii) Eligibility criteria, mode of applications, mode of examinations (subjective /objective), evaluation and ranking methodology, cut-off rank for admission, if any; etc.
(iv) Counselling and allotment methodology, along with schedule of dates.
(v) Particulars of the fees to be charged from the students for the Application Kit, examination as well as counselling purpose, etc.
8. It shall be the responsibility of the Convener to maintain strict confidentiality and secrecy throughout the whole process apart from taking all such safeguards and steps necessary to ensure that the said examination is fair and transparent. Adequate security will have to be ensured for keeping the question papers safe and secure, and to prevent any laxity or malpractice at any stage of the examination. Failure to do so shall render him as well as the AMPAI liable to such steps as the Committee may decide including cancellation of the examination.
9. That the Convener of the ‘CEE-AMPAI-2014’ shall submit a full Report on the allotment and admission status in all the participating institutions in the academic session 2014-15 positively prior to the commencement of centralized counselling process of the WBJEEB-2014 as per the following Format:
|Sl. No||Name of the candidate with full address||Registration No. and Admit Card No.||Category and Rank||Date of Admission||Name of Institution where allotted||Name of the course allotted|
10. That the Convener/Conveners of the ‘CEE-AMPAI-2014′ shall also submit institution – wise and discipline wise vacancy status so that those vacant seats can be filled up by the WBJEEB through its centralized online counselling process of 2014-15. This must be done well in advance so as to enable the Directorate of Technical Education to finalize the Seat Matrix for 2014-15 for the Centralized on-line Counselling.
11. That the Association (AMPAI) shall submit in writing to the State Govt. in the Higher Education Department that the entire expenses for CEE-AMPAI-2014 shall be incurred by the Association.
Secretary to the Government of West Bengal,
Higher Education Department