Government of West Bengal
Higher Education Department
Bikash Bhavan, 6th floor, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700091
No. 156-Edn(T)/10M-13/2015 Dated: 10.04.2015
Whereas a proposal was received from the Association of Minority Professional Academic Institutes (AMPAI), the Management of four institutions comprising from Sikh Minority Private/ Self-Financing Professional Academic Institution stating that, as a group of Sikh minority institutions, they wish to conduct a separate Common Entrance Examination for admission to 50% of their approved seats in Engineering and Pharmaceutical courses, for the academic session 2015-16, in the following institutions:
i. JIS College of Engineering, Kalyani
ii. Narula Institute of Technology, Agarpara
iii. Gurunanak Institute of Technology, Sodepur
iv. Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Science & Technology, Sodepur
Whereas the Higher Education Department, Government of West Bengal has provisionally found the said proposal acceptable in principle subject to further examination of the necessary details to ensure a merit basis, transparency and fairness in the said examination and admission process;
Whereas the Higher Education Department, Government of West Bengal has found it fit to authorize the State Level Academic Advisory Committee constituted with Hon’ble Justice (Retired) Pradipta Ray as its Chairman vide Govt. Order No. 49-Edn(T) dated, 03.02.2014, for the purpose of examining the details of such proposal, overseeing and monitoring the conduct of such separate Common Entrance Examination and the admission process through the proposed Common Entrance Examination;
Whereas, the said Minority Institutions, as a group, submitted to the State Government a seat- sharing proposal for the limited purpose of admission to the said Minority Institution and sought permission to hold separate Common Entrance Examination for admission to 50% of the approved seats for the academic session 2015-16;
Whereas according to the seat-sharing proposal submitted by the said Institutions, as a group, through their own separate common entrance test, will be held for admission to 50% of approved seats in Engineering and Pharmaceutical courses in the said Institutions, the remaining 50% of approved seats would be filled up through the State Level Joint Entrance Examination conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination Board;
Whereas, according to the said proposal besides the 50% of seats, if any seat meant for admission by the said Institutions through their separate common entrance test, remains unfilled or vacant, such vacant seat/seats too would be surrendered to the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board for admission through existing system of the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination Board and the Institution shall not have any right to fill up such surrendered seats through any other process/ method;
Whereas the aforesaid Institutions, as a group, have placed their proposals on the features of the proposed Common Entrance Examination for the Sikh Minority students before the Academic Advisory Committee and have agreed to submit a detailed procedure in writing and to give presentation before the Academic Advisory Committee on the methodology, steps, safeguards, and counseling process;
Now, therefore, the said Institutions, forming an Association, are hereby permitted to conduct the proposed separate Common Entrance Examination for the academic session 2015-16 for admission to 50% of the approved seats in Engineering and Pharmaceutical courses in their Institutions only, subject to the terms and conditions as contained here-in and the guidelines and/or directions that may be issued by the State Level Academic Advisory Committee from time to time.
The said Association is hereby asked to take necessary steps for conducting the separate Common Entrance Examination so as to complete the entire procedure of admission positively at least five days before the commencement of the State – level Centralized on-line counseling and admission system conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board for the academic session 2015-16.
The terms and conditions as well as necessary guidelines are given below:
1. That the name of the said common entrance examination shall be the Common Entrance Examination for Sikh Minority Students conducted by the Association of four Sikh Minority Institutions of the State as stated earlier, and may be termed as ‘CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015‘
2. The said Association will nominate a suitable person/persons to act as the Convener of the this separate Common Entrance Examination, who will be responsible for reporting to the State Level Academic Advisory Committee regarding conduct of the said examination as well as other post – examination matters in all respects.
3. The said Association may engage an outside agency of repute, with sound credentials and credibility in conducting such common entrance examination so as to ensure merit-basis fairness and transparency in the conduct of the said examination.
4. That the Convener of the ‘CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015’ shall arrange for necessary Notification in at-least two leading newspapers inviting candidates to submit their application for the examination. The Notification must mention the purpose and nature of the examination, availability of seats, schedule of dates, details of the syllabus, marking and ranking methodology along with other details so as to ensure that all relevant information will be available in the public domain.
5. The said Association shall have a specific website address for conduct of the proposed examination, particulars of which shall be communicated to the Academic Advisory Committee and widely publicized for the guidance of the applicants.
6. The said Association shall have a specific Bank Account for dealing with financial matters pertaining to the admission of students through the CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015. The particulars of such Bank Account shall be communicated to the Academic Advisory Committee.
7. That the Convener of the ‘CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015‘ shall take prior approval on different issues, pertaining to the conduct of such separate entrance examinations, as given below:-
i) The details of Centers along with location, to be used as venue for the CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015.
ii) Date and time of examinations along with security arrangement and monitoring system to be followed during examination.
iii) Eligibility criteria, mode of applications, mode of examination (subjective/objective), evaluation and ranking methodology, cut-off rank for admission, if any; etc.
iv) Counseling and allotment methodology, along with schedule of dates.
v) Particulars of the fees to be charged from the students for the Application Kit, examination as well as counseling purpose, etc.
8. It shall be the responsibility of the Convener to maintain strict confidentiality and secrecy throughout the whole process apart from taking all such safeguards and steps necessary to ensure that the said examination is merit-based, fair and transparent.
Adequate security will have to be ensured for keeping the question papers safe and secure, and to prevent any laxity or malpractice at any stage of the examination. Failure to do so shall render the said Association liable to such steps as the Committee may decide, including cancellation of the examination.
9. That the Convener of the ‘CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015’ shall submit a full Report on the allotment and admission status in the participating institutions in the academic session 2015-16 positively at least five days prior to the commencement of centralized counseling process of the WBJEEB-2015 as per following Format:
|Sl. No||Name of the candidate with full address||Registration No. and Admit Card No.||Category and Rank||Date of Admission||Name of Institution where allotted||Name of course allotted|
10. That the Convener of the ‘CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015’ shall also submit institution’s discipline – wise status of surrendered seats so that those vacant seats can be filled up by the WBJEEB through its centralized on-line counseling process of 2015-16. This must be done well in advance so as to enable the Director of Technical Education, West Bengal to finalize the Seat Matrix for 2015-16 for the Centralized on-line Counseling.
11. The Convener will submit in writing to the State Government in the Higher Education Department that the entire expenses for CEE-WB-Sikh Minority-2015 shall be incurred by the AMPAI.
Sd/- Special Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal
Higher Education Department