Holiday List for West Bengal Government Employees, 2023
Update: Holiday List for West Bengal Government Employees, 2024
Download: West Bengal Wall Calendar, 2023 High Resolution
Download: West Bengal Govt. Table Calendar, 2023 in PDF
Government of West Bengal
Finance (Audit) Department
325, Sarat Chatterjee Road
No. 4331-F(P2) Howrah, the 21st October, 2022.
In exercise of the power conferred by the explanation to Section 25 of the Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881), read with Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Notification No. 20/25/56-pub(l) dated the 8th June, 1957 the Governor is pleased to declare the days as specified at List-1 below to be Public Holidays during the year 2023.
2. The Governor is also pleased to notify that the offices under the Government of West Bengal with the exception of the offices of the Registrar of Assurances, Kolkata and Collector of the Stamp Revenue, Kolkata shall be closed on the days as specified at List-II below which are not declared to be public holidays, during the year 2023.
3. Further, the Governor is pleased to declare that the days as specified at List-III may be observed as Sectional Holidays in the year 2023 for the employees of different communities mentioned against the day.
List-I (Public Holidays in 2023 under the N. I. Act)
|Birth Day of Swami Vivekananda||12th January, Thursday|
|Netaji’s Birth Day||23rd January, Monday|
|Republic Day||26th January, Thursday|
|Saraswati Puja [Sree Panchami]||26th January, Thursday|
|Doljatra||7th March, Tuesday|
|Mahavir Jayanti||4th April, Tuesday|
|Good Friday||7th April, Friday|
|Birth Day of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar||14th April, Friday|
|**Bengali New Year’s Day (Nababarsha)||15th April, Saturday|
|**Eid-UI-Fitr||22nd April, Saturday|
|May Day||1st May, Monday|
|Buddha Purnima||5th May, Friday|
|Birth Day of Rabindranath Tagore||9th May, Tuesday|
|Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid)||29th June, Thursday|
|**Muharram||29th July, Saturday|
|Independence Day||15th August, Tuesday|
|Birth Day of Gandhiji||2nd October, Monday|
|**Mahalaya||14th October, Saturday|
|**Durga Puja, Maha Saptami||21st October, Saturday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Nabami||23rd October, Monday|
|Durga Puja, Dasami||24th October, Tuesday|
|**Lakshmi Puja||28th October, Saturday|
|Bhratridwitiya||15th November, Wednesday|
|Birth Day of Guru Nanak||27th November, Monday|
|Christmas Day||25th December, Monday|
|Yearly Closing of Bank Account||1st April (Saturday) (for Banks only) (Note: The Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday including Treasuries, Sub-Treasuries shall remain open).|
List-II (Holidays under the order of State Government in 2023)
|Day before Saraswati Puja||25th January, Wednesday|
|Birth Day of Thakur Panchanan Barma||14th February, Tuesday|
|**Shivaratri||18th February, Saturday|
|Holi (Day after Doljatra)||8th March, Wednesday|
|Day before Eid-UI-Fitr||21st April, Friday|
|Rathayatra||20th June, Tuesday|
|Birth Day of Poet Bhanu Bhakt (for Darjeeling & Kalimpong District only).||13th July, Thursday|
|Rakhi Bandhan||30th August, Wednesday|
|Janmastami||6th September, Wednesday|
|Fateha-Dwaz-Daham||28th September, Thursday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Chaturthi||18th October, Wednesday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Panchami||19th October, Thursday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Shashthi||20th October, Friday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||25th October, Wednesday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||26th October, Thursday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||27th October, Friday|
|Additional Day for Kali Puja||13th November, Monday|
|Additional Day for Kali Puja||14th November, Tuesday|
|Birth Day of Birsa Munda||15th November, Wednesday|
|Day after Bhratridwitiya||16th November, Thursday|
|Additional Day for Chhat Puja||20th November, Monday|
(##) Birth Day of Pandit Raghunath Murmu falls on 5th May, Friday, which is a holiday under N. I. Act and therefore has not been shown separately in List-II.
List-III (Sectional Holidays in 2023)
|Easter Saturday||8th April (Saturday) [for Christians only]|
|Hul Diwas||30th June (Friday) [for Adivasi (Santhal) only.]|
|Karam Puja||To be notified later on.|
($$) Shab-e-Barat, Sectional Holiday for Muslim Community falls on 8th March, 2023 (Wednesday), which is a Holiday under State Government & therefore has not been shown separately in List-Ill.
1. Sundays are holidays under the Negotiable Instrument Act.
2. In the year 2023, the following festivals/occasions fall on Sundays which are Public Holidays under N. I. Act and hence have not been included in lists:
i) New Year’s Day : 1st January, Sunday
ii) Birth Day of Guru Rabidas (for the followers of Guru Rabidas) : 5th February, Sunday
iii) Birth Day of Shri Shri Harichand Thakur (Madhu Krishna Troyodashi Tithi) : 19th March, Sunday
iv) Durga Puja Maha Ashtami : 22nd October, Sunday
v) Kali Puja : 12th November, Sunday
vi) Chhat Puja : 19th November, Sunday
3. The holiday with double asterisk marks i.e. (**) is applicable to those Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday.
4. General instructions as laid down hereunder are to be followed in case of Muslim festivals.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED IN ALL TYPES OF HOLIDAYS INCLUDING HOLIDAYS FOR THE MUSLIM FESTIVALS
1) No substitute holiday shall be allowed if any of the festival – holidays initially notified subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
2) If there is any change in the date of Eid-UI-Fitr, Id-Ud-Zoha, Muharram, Fateha-Dwaz-Daham, Shab-e-Barat depending upon the sighting of the moon, holiday will be declared by a separate order for the date on which the festival would be actually observed in lieu of the date originally notified as holiday for this festival.
3) It may happen that the change of date of above mentioned occasions has to be notified at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement would be made through T.V. / A.I.R. / News Papers and Heads of Department / Offices of the State Government may take action according to such announcements without waiting for formal order about the change of date.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- Dr. Manoj Pant
Additional Chief Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal
No. 4331-F dated 21.10.2022, Source