Government of West Bengal
12, R. N. Mukherjee Road, Kolkata – 700 001
No. 3838-WT/TR/3M-51/2010 Date: 03/10/2016
Increasing and complicated issues involving public transport in Kolkata and adjoining urban agglomeration, artificial barriers among different authorities in greater metropolitan transport planning and consequent lack of ease in delivery of public services in transport sector has been under critical examination by the State Government in Transport Department in the recent past. Regional Transport Authority (RTA), Kolkata has also taken stock of the situation and has proposed for inclusion of the adjoining urban areas within its jurisdiction for the purpose of administering route and permit related activities in unified manner.
Upon careful examination of the matter and consideration of various aspects thereof and in exercise of power conferred under section 68(1) of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, read with Rule 83(1) of the West Bengal Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, the Governor has been pleased to declare that the jurisdiction of RTA Kolkata will be expanded and comprised with immediate effect of the combined areas of the Police Commissionerates of Kolkata, Howrah, Barrackpore and Bidhannagar in the manner and for the purpose as stated hereunder:
- The RTAs of South 24 Parganas, Howrah and North 24 Parganas will transfer all such routes under their jurisdictions to RTA, Kolkata, where major portion of a route lies in the new and expanded jurisdiction of RTA, Kolkata. All related files will also be transferred to RTA, Kolkata by 15/11/2016 by the concerned RTAs.
- All permits, for areas falling under the new and expanded jurisdiction of RTA Kolkata, that were erstwhile issued by the RTAs of South 24 Parganas, Howrah and North 24 Parganas will remain valid, as if they have been issued by RTA, Kolkata. Renewals, transfers, etc. for the routes that will now be transferred will henceforth be done by RTA, Kolkata only, in such cases on and from 16/11/2016.
- Grant of new Stage Carriage Permits, in cases of routes where major portions are lying in areas beyond RTA, Kolkata and where only one terminus lies within the jurisdiction of RTA, Kolkata, will be done by the RTAs of South 24 Parganas, Howrah and North 24 Parganas, as the case may be, only with prior concurrence of RTA, Kolkata.
- RTOs of Howrah and North 24 Parganas will be declared as Deputy Secretaries to RTA, Kolkata by the respective RTA for the purpose of carrying into effect the decisions taken by that RTA, ARTO, Barrackpore will similarly be declared as Assistant Secretary to RTA, Kolkata by the RTA for the purpose of carrying into effect the decisions taken by the concerned RTA.
- All members of the RTAs of North 24 Parganas, South 24 Parganas and Howrah will be the permanent invitees of the new and expanded RTA Kolkata. Deputy Commissioners of Police (Traffic) of the Bidhannagar, Barrackpore and Howrah Police Commissionerates will also be permanent invitees of the new and expanded RTA, Kolkata.
- Notwithstanding above, Director, PVD will continue to act as the Registering Authority and the Licencing Authority for the areas under Kolkata Police, and the police stations under NKDA, Salt Lake and Lake Town of West Bengal Police, while the Registering Authorities and the Licencing Authorities of Howrah and Barrackpore will continue to act as usual for the areas under their jurisdiction that have now been included within RTA, Kolkata.
By order of the Governor
Sd/- B. Dasgupta
Special Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal