Guidelines for Board of Administrators on Municipal Administration
Government of West Bengal
Department of Urban Development & Municipal Affairs
(Municipal Affairs Branch)
‘Nagarayan’, 6th floor,
DF-8, Sector – I, Salt Lake City, Kolkata – 700 064.
No. 734(110)/MA/O/C-4/2M-11/2017 Dated, Kolkata, the 2nd day of September, 2020
From: The Joint Secretary to the Govt. of West Bengal
To: The Chairperson, Board of Administrators/ Administrator,
……………………. Municipality/ NAA
PO. – ……………………. Dist. …………………….
Sub: Guidelines for the Board of Administrators/ Administrator on Municipal Administration and Financial Management
I am directed to forward herewith the guidelines for the Board of Administrators/ Administrator to be followed for smooth running of the Municipal Administration and Financial management as per extant provisions of Act and Rules/ Orders and to request you to arrange for strict compliance of the same. A confirmation in regard to above is also solicited within 8th September 2020.
Enclo: As stared.
Sd/- Joint Secretary
Guidelines for the Board of Administrators/ Administrator on Municipal Administration and Financial Management
- Administrator or Board of Administrators in Municipalities/ Notified Area Authority appointed in terms of provisions of sub-section (4) of section 14 of the West Bengal Municipal Act, 1993 are having all the powers or functions vested with the municipal authorities under this Act or under any other law for the time being in force shall be exercised or performed, as the case may be, by the Administrator or Board of Administrators.
- The functions vested with the Chairman/ Chairperson of a Municipalities/ Notified Area Authority under this Act or under any other law for the time being in force shall be exercised or performed, as the case may be, by the Chairperson of the Board of Administrators/ Administrator.
- Executive Officers of municipalities will discharge duties and responsibilities in terms of provisions of section 60A of the West Bengal Municipal Act, 1993 and the West Bengal Municipal (Duties and Responsibilities of the Executive Officer) Rules, 2018 (copy enclosed)
- Finance Officers of municipalities will discharge duties and responsibilities in terms of provisions of section 60A of the West Bengal Municipal Act, 1993.
- Both Executive Officer and Finance Officer have statutory obligations and pivotal role in municipal administration. Their presence in the meeting of BOA would be conducive for smooth functioning of the Board.
- On the issue of cheque signing authority, the provisions of section 69A of the West Bengal Municipal Act, 1993 as amended upto date (copy enclosed) and the directions reiterated in the departmental order issued vide No. 1017/MA/O/C-4/2M-11/2017, dated the 13th November, 2019 (copy enclosed) are required to be followed mandatorily. The Executive Officer and the Finance Officer are the authorized signatories.
No. 734/MA dated 02.09.2020
Urban Development and Municipal Affairs, Municipal Act