Sports Policy in Schools of West Bengal
Government of West Bengal
School Education Department
The School Education Department, Government of West Bengal oversees all aspects of education including academic studies, examination and administration of the school system. Physical Education and Sport Development Initiative for school going population in West Bengal are part and parcel of the school education programme of the Government of West Bengal. The initiative aims to utilize the power of physical education and sport to support the aims and objectives of school education. With the objective of transforming the lives of children in schools through effective delivery of physical education and sport, it is felt to have a School Sports Policy for the schools recognized by the W.B. Board of Primary Education, W.B. Board of Secondary Education and W.B. Council of Higher Secondary Education. The ambition of this initiative is to create strong, sustainable and supportive systems within which school children of all ages and abilities, some from the marginalized section and from the most disadvantaged communities, can have chances to make use of most of the opportunities that Physical Education and Sport can bring. The policy has been designed primarily to address certain identified needs as highlighted in the National Curriculum Framework 2005 and Sports Policy 2009 conceived by the Department of Sports & Youth Services, Government of West Bengal.
- To influence the consistency of implementation of physical education and school sport in the school system for all students;
- To increase the perceived value of physical education in the promotion high quality all round education;
- To promote and develop school sport in the State for broadcasting of the participation pool;
- To design to achieve excellence in competitive sports through mass participation, sports exposure, talent identification and nurturing the talents;
- To use sport as a means of development and empowerment for all students;
- To ensure greater involvement of girl students in physical education and sport in the school system and to widen opportunities for marginalized children including those with disabilities;
- To ensure development of a structural approach to physical education and school sport that mutually engages the school education department and department of sports & youth services, government of West Bengal and enhance existing practice.
3. SUGGESTIONS ON STATE POLICY ON SCHOOL SPORT, W.B.
School Education Department, W.B. has now decided to invite Memoranda containing suggestions/ views/ comments of individuals/ institutions/ organizations/ beneficiaries on the three working strands viz. Physical Education & School Links, Sports & School Links and Sporting Excellence pertaining to the draft policy:
Those desirous of submitting Memoranda to the School Education Department, W.B. may send the same, either in Bengali or in English to Shri N.N. Dutta, Joint Secretary to the Government of West Bengal, School Education Department, W.B., Bikash Bhaban, 5th Floor, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700 091 by post, in person, by E-mail (email@example.com) or by fax (033-23584391) within fifteen days. Such documents would form part of the records for finalization of the state policy on school sport.
Main Policy, Source