GOVERNMENT OF WEST BENGAL
Finance (Audit) Department
325, Sarat Chatterjee Road, Howrah – 711102.
No. 5962-F(P2) Dated, the 1st November, 2019
In exercise of the power conferred by the explanation to Section 25 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881) read with Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Notification No. 20/25/56-pub(l) dated 8th June, 1957, the Governor is pleased to declare the following days to be public holidays during the year, 2020:-
|Birthday of Netaji||23rd January, Thursday|
|Saraswati Puja (Shree Panchami)||30th January, Thursday|
|Doljatra||9th March, Monday|
|Good Friday||10th April, Friday|
|Bengali New Year’s Day/ Birthday of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar||14th April, Tuesday|
|May Day||1st May, Friday|
|Buddha Purnima||7th May, Thursday|
|Birthday of Rabindra Nath Tagore||8th May, Friday|
|Id-Ul-Fitar||25th May, Monday|
|** Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid)||1st August, Saturday|
|** Independence Day||15th August, Saturday|
|Mahalaya||17th September, Thursday|
|Birthday of Gandhiji||2nd October, Friday|
|Durga Puja –|
|Saptami||23rd October, Friday|
|** Astami||24th October, Saturday|
|Vijaya Dasami||26th October, Monday|
|Lakshmi Puja||30th October, Friday|
|** Kali Puja||14th November, Saturday|
|Birthday of Guru Nanak||30th November, Monday|
|Christmas Day||25th December, Friday|
1. Sundays are holidays under the Negotiable Instruments Act (N. I. Act).
2. In the year, 2020, the following festivals/ occasions fall on Sunday which are public holidays under the N. I. Act and hence, have not been included in the list of holidays:
|Birthday of Swami Vivekananda||12th January, Sunday|
|Republic Day||26th January, Sunday|
|Muharram||30th August, Sunday|
|Durga Puja – Nabami||25th October, Sunday|
3. The holidays with double asterisk mark [i.e., (**)] are applicable to those Government offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday.
4. General Instructions as laid down in the Notification No. 5965-F(P2) dated 01.11.2019 hereinafter are to be followed in case of Muslim festivals.
No. 5963-F(P2) Dated, the 1st November, 2019
In exercise of the power conferred by the explanation to Section 25 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881) read with Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Notification No. 20/25/56-pub(l) dated 8th June, 1957, the Governor is pleased to declare the following day to be public holiday during the year, 2020:-
|Yearly closing of Bank Accounts||1st April, Wednesday|
(All State Government offices including Treasuries shall remain open on that date).
No. 5964-F(P2) Dated, the 1st November, 2019
The Governor is pleased to notify that on the following days during the year, 2020, which are not declared to be public holidays, the offices under the Government of West Bengal with the exception of the offices of the Registrar of Assurances, Kolkata, the Collector of Stamp Revenue, Kolkata and the West Bengal State Beverages Corporation Ltd. shall be closed:-
|New Year’s Day||1st January, Wednesday|
|Additional day in connection with Saraswati Puja||31st January, Friday|
|Shivaratri||21st February, Friday|
|Holi (Day after Doljatra)||10th March, Tuesday|
|Additional day in connection with Id-Ul-Fitar||26th May, Tuesday|
|Birthday of Poet Bhanu Bhakt (For Darjeeling & Kalimpong district only)||13th July, Monday|
|Janmastami||11th August, Tuesday|
|Tritia of Durga Puja||19th October, Monday|
|Chaturthi of Durga Puja||20th October, Tuesday|
|Panchami of Durga Puja||21st October, Wednesday|
|Mahasasthi of Durga Puja||22nd October, Thursday|
|Additional days in connection with Durga Puja||27th October, Tuesday, 28th October, Wednesday & 29th October, Thursday|
|Fateha-Dwaz-Daham||30 October, Friday|
|Bhatridwitya||16th November, Monday|
|Additional day in connection with Bhatridwitya||17th November, Tuesday|
|Day before Chhat Puja||19th November, Thursday|
|Chhat Puja||20th November, Friday|
No. 5965-F(P2) Dated, the 1st November, 2019
The Governor is pleased to declare that the following days may be observed as Sectional holidays in the year, 2020 for the employees of different communities mentioned against each:-
|Mahabir Jayanti||6th April, Monday (For Jains only)|
|Sab-e-Barat||9th April, Thursday (For Muslims only)|
|** Easter Saturday||11th April, Saturday (For Christians only)|
|Baisakhi||14th April, Tuesday (For Sikhs only)|
|Hul Diwas||30th June, Tuesday [For Adivasi (Santal) only]|
|Karam Puja||To be notified later on.|
The holiday with double asterisk mark [i.e., (**)] is applicable to those Government offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED IN ALL TYPES OF HOLIDAYS INCLUDING HOLIDAYS FOR THE MUSLIM FESTIVALS
1) No substitute holiday(s) shall be allowed for any initially notified holiday(s), if any of the festivals subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off day/ any other non working day or in the event of more than one festival/ occasion falling on the same day.
2) If there is any change in the date of the festivals/ occasions, viz., Id-Ul-Fitar, Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid), Muharram, Fateha-Dwaz-Daham and Sab-e-Barat, depending upon the sighting of the moon, holiday will be declared by separate order for the date on which the festival would be actually observed in lieu of the date originally notified as holiday for these festivals/ occasions.
3) It may happen that the change of date of the above festivals/ occasions has to be notified at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement would be made through TV/ A.I.R/ Newspapers and the Heads of Department/ Offices of the State Government may take action according to such announcements without waiting for formal order regarding the change of date.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- D. K. Mahapatra
OSD & E.O. Special Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal